1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Im having a problem plowing

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Sealer People, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hello eveyone.
    Im having a problem when plowing. The blade seems to trip alot & then it springs back really hard

I only do 4 small parking lots & a few homes, but even when i do the houses it does the same thing when im going to clear off the road. It only does this while im going forward obviously.
    So today I just picked up this really small lot & it had not been plowed yet this year & there was some ice build up, when i started plowing it started tripping out like crazy.

I was wondering, seeing as I also do one parking lot thats partially gravel, should I adjust the shoes on the blade ?? would adjusting the shoes & raising the blade half an inch help with this problem ?

The plow is a 7.6 ft LT blizzard, 3 springs on it.

Thanks guys !

Canadian Novembers : " I dont remember it snowing this much " tymusic

2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

That would help a bit, but is it a new plow or did you recently buy it new? Take a look at the springs and see if they are mounted correctly or if they need to be replaced

3. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Sounds like the trip springs may need adjusted.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Tighten the springs, but also I find the Blizzards dig into no paved surfaces and trip alot!

5. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a new 760sw this year as well, and I find the leading wings catch a lot more things, but it doesn't trip a whole lot more, I agree with Purple and rsvees, the springs likely need to be tightened.

6. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

I have the same problem this time of year, some ground frost seems to solve the problem once it comes. For now i max out the springs and add a little to the shoes..
    good luck

7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

I know a guy in Erie that's been adding additional springs to the plows for years. When the guys put wings on the straight blade's it's usually a given to add 1 or 2 more springs to any of the plows. FWIW.

Jerre

8. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

I didnt know you could add springs to the snow plow,,,,, I have 3 springs on the plow

9. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

I had a Fisher before I got my Blizzard. The Fisher very rarely tripped up. But my Blizzard did the same thing as you describe or even worse. Sometimes it will cut into ice or packed snow and the whole blade will swing forward a good 60 degrees or maybe even 75 degrees, and then the front of my truck lifts up. It kind of worries me - the weight on the plow.

Anyways, I've already tightened the springs some. I figure that will help. I could tighten them a lot more though. I'm in Maryland so we haven't had a lot of snow out here.

All in all though, this Blizzard does a lot better job than my Fisher. My Fisher tended to bounce up on top of really packed snow. My Blizzard cuts underneath and lifts that stuff right up.

10. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

I can add springs to most any thing. We sell the extra springs and tabs to weld on for the xtra 2 springs that the guys run with wings on the plows.

Mark, Funny you mentioned that the Blizzard cut down better than the Fishers. We've had em up against all of the brands and they will scrape down better than anything else on the marked including the Snoways with down pressure as in forward the Down pressure spring boards the vehicle.

In many cases a 550# Blizzard LD/LT will out plow a 760 commercial from the other MFG.s But heck what do I know I'm just a dummy from snow country.

J

11. Indy

Indy Senior Member

also if the truck is higher (larger tires) or raised or if the mount is higher, it make the angle of attack steeper and can cause you to dig in.

also a worn cutting edge will cause the plow to ride lower and trip easier.........

JMHO