1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Im going to make 2 1-foor extensions for my plow...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TroyG, Feb 4, 2009.

1. TroyG

TroyG Junior Member
    from Lorton

turn my 8 into a 10. 2 ribs on each side that bolt directly to the end of stock plow. i see the ings you can buy but they are angled so you dont get a true 2 foot width no? anyhow, how much are wings? do you think there may be some demand for extensions that bolt on??? just wondering?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The wings serve more than just an extension of the plow. They are angled so they contain the roll off snow from the end of the blade. Just extending the blade will make productivity increase, the the angle on the bolt on wings even though not as wide, increase productivity even more than straight extensions would.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

They are cheaper to buy ready made then have someone fab them up and makethem pin on the plow. Not much of a market for them as most people buy them from a manufacturer.
    Check the differetn plow brands as far as cost.

4. TroyG

TroyG Junior Member
    from Lorton

well i get free steel and a plama cutter and mig would make short work of these. anyhow its just for me, just askin.

5. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Heres a set my dad made. After he made these the guy had him make 4 more sets up. I guess he liked them. I think he charged him $350 a set

wing1.jpg

wing2.jpg

6. mnconst

mnconst Member
    from indiana

does the cutting edge trip cant tell???
    if not how does it trip

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

10 ft is illegal on public streets.

8. duramax8611

duramax8611 Junior Member

no 10ft is not and i would think it would become a problem when your backing up, i bet it would drag on the ground and mark up the lots

9. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

yes it is a trip edge.. note the trip springs at bottom of blade.. i thought the same thing at first

10. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

yes it is. you need a special permit if you're going to travel with a plow over 10 ft in width. technically pushers shouldn't be moving on the road either but a lot depends on how much of a stickler your DOT and local police stations are

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

In NY the limit is 8'-6" (we got the ticket, for a Vplow with wings, was 9'-2"), $ 250.00, with the permit you can go to 25', requires flags, lights, etc. The permit is $ 250 also I believe. You have to catch the wrong cop, on wrong day. In our case it was we had a 2500 HD, with a 8' salter, with the plow, that he pulled over. To bad for him the salter was EMPTY, he was looking I'm sure for over weight ($ 1/ lb), had to give us a ticket for somthing at that point.

12. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Good. When ya make 'em post up pics so we can all see.