1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Im giving up

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ein999, Oct 4, 2008.

1. ein999

ein999 Member

I planned on trying to get a plowing business going but now i cant see it working out for me.

I have a snow thrower a honda hs35 but that is not going to work for cutting through icy packed snow. I have exuasted my self. Im throwing in the towel. I have no chance in this business without money and the right equipment.

Thank you for your helps and encouragements on my other post.

2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Don't throw in the towel!, persistence is the name of the game. Just keep doing what you can, put the $ aside and keep saving. Eventually it will come, and it will be that much more rewarding when it does!!!!!!!:nod::nod:

(you gotta start somewhere!) If you quit now what have you done besides waste your time?

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I agree! There are many times when I just look at bills or equipment costs and say, "Man, how can I afford that?" But just save up. You don't have to buy new equipment right away, save yourself some cash and buy some good used stuff.

4. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Dont be like Wall Street, Keep with it or do it part time( keep insurance)

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Think about heading in a different direction other than drives. What about offering your services for walkways to contractors who dont have the time or want to get out of the truck?

6. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Although I used to feel sorry for guys using snowblowers, a local guy started with zippo 6 yrs ago, did 340 drives the 1st yr. Paid for equipment and advertising with money from paid contracts at the beginning of the season. Now he does over $1000000 with 17 tractors, 3000 drives. Obviously it can be done, how bad do you want it?

7. tom_mccauley

That was my point EXACTLY!!!!

8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

THE OTHER 2% ARE FROM MICHIGAN AND THEY SAY, "HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS!"
    Been there done that got the T-shirt. Probably transplanted canucks.

9. tom_mccauley

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Get hooked up with a bunch of companies tell them you offer snow blowing services. A lot of plow companies turn down work because they don't have a sidewalk crew ,so start with that.

11. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

respectfully,that scenerio would provide cash flow,but would build the businesses of others. If you want to build a business for yourself refer to my earlier post :D

12. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Good idea Gv, def keep your head up. The snow can be very profitable and you need to stick with it. There are many times where i have a bad day with my business, but you have to keep going! As the song goes "It dont come easy, no it dont come easy"ussmileyflag

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That is true be he never did snow removal and if he buys a bunch of stuff and finds out he doesn't like it ,just more headaches .This way he can watch and learn from others. Is it not the end game to make money? I myself turn down work because I don't have a sidewalk crew so if you build a reputation as to be reliable you can make more money without as much overhead.

14. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Good point Grandview,
    Although I'm fairly "new" to everyone hear on plowsite, I too have the graces of picking up new accounts just because of that. Ein999 do not give up! the rewards are to plentiful.

15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yep business is a long term thing,...im still learning, still working hard... i think every one on this site does

hang in there...

16. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

stop BSn .... grandview knows everything and hasnt worked since the storm of 96:dizzy:

17. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Because he took the time in the off season to word his contracts properly and has since re-named his fleet "April, May and June"

18. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

lmao:drinkup:

19. Joe67

Joe67 Junior Member

Now this is a good post :drinkup:

20. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

Its not easy being cheesey.