1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'm getting the jitters. . . .

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BGehl, Nov 15, 2008.

1. BGehl

BGehl Member

So I have been reading this board for over a year, and it is great! Great information. And great guys.

Last year I just plowed my own drive and a couple others now and then for overwhelmed neighbors and family.

This year i wanted to start small and give a handful of res's a try. Just this week i reached my goal of about 15 residentials. About half are standard suburb drives, the other half are set back from the road a bit more. and i have one monster drive that i expect will take me close to 45 mins.

Everything is within 4 miles or so of my house.

But now i have had too much time to think about the drives, and where to start my route, and what time to get up, and what if my truck breaks down, and what if it snows so hard that i cant keep the drives clear . . . . it is starting to make me nervous. I just want a nice 3 or 4 inch so that ends at 11pm so i can go push some snow around.

I feel like it is the night before the first day of school.

2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Welcome to the site! I dont think anyone stops worrying about what your thinking about. No matter how big or little your plowing operation is! The route should be set i believe on a importance level. Does a customer need to get to work at 7am, and need his driveway clear by then. He might have importance over a customer that just stays there for the ski season! More to think about(if you dont have alot already:rolleyes:) maybe some of the customers are docotrs or emrgancy personal that are on call! Those drives need to be open! As for the truck check it over and over! Make sure the plow works before the snow flys, not when there is 2 inches on the ground! Make sure to have a plowing kit, chains, shovels, hoses, etc! As for snowing too hard, plow with the storm! If they are saying 8-12 go out ever 3-4 inches. You need to stay ahead of the storm. :waving:

Good luck!

3. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Thats the best feeling.

4. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i work full time and still dont worry about the things that you are worring about. just make sure your truck is ready to go. my truck is maintaned not with just oil and fluid changes but checking everything every winter season. this year i changed the whole exhuast on my truck. headers ypipe, high flow cat, 3 inch exhuast. i didnt have to do it but i had a hole from rust forming on my ypipe flange and the pipe starting leaking. i replace everything bc i need my truck to be bulletproof b/c i only have one truck with a plow on it. as far as getting up, watch the weather and wake up and check to see how much snow there is. you dont have to keep going over the driveways to make sure there always clean. i let atleast 3 inches to pile up before i decided to go back over it if i have to make more then one trip. be overpreparded. jmo:waving:

5. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Its awesome, you cant sleep, little butterflys in your stomach.........

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Like other said,welcome to the world of snowplowing. It will snow at the most inconvenient time.You can start your rote at the farthermost driveway and work your way in or start from home and just hit ea. one until done.

7. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Start with closest to home like GV said and work your way out, then you will be driving by what you already did on the way home, unless you have key people on your route like tls22 mentioned. I would also try the networking section and see if you can't find a one truck guy on here that you can set up some type of agreement that is in your area for back up plans. You back him up, and he backs you up. It will be win, win for the both of you.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I check the truck over 2 or 3 days before a big storm. Ball joints water, pump, Alt, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, Hoses, U-JOINTS.... That way you have time to fix anything you find. There is no better way to loose customers than to not show up.. for what ever reason!!

If you need to get people out and you are starting to run late Just plow a path from the street to the garage door. Now they can get in and out and you can come back later to do the clean up.

And YA I dont sleep much before a storm ether.

25 drives should be no problem

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I agree with TLS and what the others have posted. We ALL worry but that is a big part of snow plowing.

10. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Sent you a pm. And I echo what everyone else said about making sure your truck's all set for winter, and trying to prioritize drives.

Oh, and as for getting so much you can't plow, I wouldn't worry, especially on resi stuff. Back when I started out, I had a Ram 50 (same as a Mitsu pickup, 4 cyl, reg cab, short box, etc), and someone called me to open up a driveway that hadn't been touched all winter, up in Oswego. We're talking 4 feet of packed snow at the end. Took some time, but I got that driveway clear. Just take your time, and plow smart, and you'll be fine.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  11. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Good job guys 5 posts and he just got an A+ crash course. I love the internet.

12. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

It took me about 2 full seasons before I realized those butterflies weren't jitters but excitement!:D

13. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Glad to hear you got your 15 accounts Ben. I was the same way my first year. When that first snow finally came i just went and did it. After a couple times out I got better a running the route and faster at plowing. What you really need to get for yourself is someone you can call when you get in a bind whether you're stuck in a drive or just need some help because your truck is down. I never worried about before this season now I'm looking for a backup truck as most of my friends need to put their own accounts first before they can come and help me. Goodluck if you ever need anything reach out.

14. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

At least i am not the only one wigging out. first is always the worst u tear up grass and gravel thats not frozen

15. BGehl

BGehl Member

Thanks for the encouragement, advice, and offers to help. Y'all are great. Now i just need snow.

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i charge niebours and friends family is one thing i mean its wear tear on your truck plus fuel cost

17. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

I too have a horrible time finding peace be4 a snowfall! Then when it's happening i'm unable to get sound sleep (this of course causes fatige and delirious behaiour later on). Then I get started and it's draining. Then I get cold and freeze up....and through it all I thank God that I get to do it! :)

C.

18. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Wait a minute, i'm sick...I must B!
    hehehehe

C.

19. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Welcome to the site!
    Make sure your rig is ready to go. 15 drives is something you could knock out with a decent sized snow blower if absolutely everything broke down.
    I got in touch with another plow guy in the area and we're using eachother for backup if necessary. Better than nothing I suppose.