1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Im considering.... Supercharge?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by RTallday, Feb 4, 2002.

1. RTallday

RTallday Member

Ok, first let me begin by telling everyone this is going to apply to a DODGE!!! Not a chevy, thats why I put the word SUPERCHARGE in the subject, cause everyone loves that. I had to lure you in here somehow... Anyway, I have a 95 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, and I am considering a summer buildup. I am wondering if anybody out there has done any supercharging in their day. I am considering either putting a supercharger on the 318 thats in there, or maybe a suspension lift. I am leaning towards the charger, but that costs nearly $5,000. LOTS OF MONEY!!! I am also considering swapping the 318 for a 360, but there is really no purpose to that. Anyhow, any input you guys might have would be great. Thanks, and sorry its a Dodge.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

i wouldnt do it,to much money for the gain in power,but its your truck,the 318's run on the edge of detonation without the charger,you will be running 94 octane fuel,and still might have to buy a boost ****** unit to keep from pinging.Y dont you sell it,and buy a 3/4ton Cummins diesel,then you can get any amount of power your heart desires without overstressing the engine.BTW to get 100+hp from a cummins will cost about 500 bucks,at the most.100hp from a gasser costs about 3500-4500 bucks,and reliability goes out the window,usually idle qaulity does too,and need to run premium.Cummins will be stone reliable,and can take much,much more power.I have mine"fueled up",and although it is still rellatively mild,it will flat out smoke 99% of the gas engines in 8800 and up trucks.Just an idea,especially if you tow/plow a lot.
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, you lured ME in! :D

Since it is Dodge we're talking about, I moved it here. ;)

I agree with John, for your application I don't feel supercharging is the best way to go. While I don't have any firsthand experience with it, I believe that if you put a charger on top of your engine, the bottom end will need to be beefed up as well - equalling more $$$.

You mention suspension lift as another project you're considering, I would say that's a more realistic avenue to pursue.

John, I wish you would stop mentioning the Cummins engines because now you've got ME thinking of putting one in my '75 one of these days....................... J/K about the "stop mentioning Cummins" but I may yet someday put a diesel in that old relic of mine......................... just not this year. Got my hands full getting that 4x4 frame under it. :p

Let us know what you decide Rich.
  4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Cummins! Yes! OK, if you want a hotrod to drive around town, which it kinda sounds like, since you want to lift and supercharge a 1/2 ton, doesn't really sound like a work truck (then you would be the other 1/2 ton truck on the site other than me!! Yah!) take that money that you would spend on a supercharger and buy some motor. Much more reliable, and in the end you'll be happier. I know they make a "magnum 380" I think it is crate motor, which is a 360 cranking out 380 horses I think. Runs for about 5 or 6 grand, and if you could get all your fuel injection and emmisions to hook up, I'm sure you'd lose a bit of that horsepower, but you'd still be heads and shoulders ahead of where you'd be with the 318 with a blower on it. Good luck and keep us informed.

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

The weakest part in truck is tranny. Why would you put hop up on engine to just have tranny go out. I have had many a dodge, now our we have 4 V8 Dodge, 1 cummins, 2 ford, 1 chevy diesel, jeep and one international. The turbo cummins after new cat back exhaust, hp air filter, turn up pump and make the waste gate not open is over powering. Had to put in a 2 clutch torque converter MAN WHAT A PLOW RIG !!! I have drove easy and broke all 4 rib welds on Meyers plow. If the wheels can hook up you can push it. BTW 30+ lbs of boost is very easy to get just push the peddle down. On a supercharged engine you have bypass on the blower and 27 on a newly rebuilt blower is possible. My advice is to keep engine stock as or go with an easy to live with hp increase. Also look for emissions in your area we have to keep EPA happy here so we cant do much hp increase that would cause to much polution.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

So far the only thing my Cummins has been overpowering has been the rear tires.They dont bite very good until your in 3rd,below that they fight for traction the whole time.But the power it makes is overpowering for a pickup,I can see it breaking parts very easily with an idiot driver,this engine could tear the truck up in the wrong hands.