1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

im buying this dump truck. what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by serafii, Aug 25, 2010.

1. serafii

serafii Senior Member

ive been looking around lately for a dump truck but never found anything in my price range or anything i wanted until i found this.

1997 Chevrolet Cheyenne 3500
    6.5 turbo diesel
    105 000km
    A/C
    11ft MG dump box
    8foot fisher MM1 with back drag and wings
    dual fuel tanks
    dual tool boxes
    trailer hitch

-hasn't pushed snow since 1999
    -all work has been done at dealer

he was asking 18k last yr, this year brought it to 15k negotiable. i made him an offer of 12k for it. he seems almost convinced, just waiting for his phone call.

what do u guys think?

just thought i would ask, since ive been looking, ive seen many with 16inch and 19.5inch rims. whats the reason behind that? if any at all..

rob.jpg

2. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

The 19.5 wheels are on the 3500HD

that is not available in factory 4x4. The HD model I believe gave a 15,000 gvw, and was available with a 7.4L gas or the6.5L diesel. Do a quick Google on the 3500HD and you will understand all the differences between the 3500 and the 3500HD.

3. serafii

serafii Senior Member

yaa i had a feeling the rim size had to do with the 3500 and the 3500hd.

what is not available in factory 4x4?

over all what do u think about the truck? and the price?

4. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

3500 HD was not available in factory

4x4 like the regular 3500 was. The HD has a straight axle. I think in the market that I am in, assuming all is correct and all is functional the price seems fair. Every 11' box I have seen on a one ton in our area seems to have been over GVW'd enough to ruin the rear springs etc.

5. serafii

serafii Senior Member

i didnt know the HD models were not available in 4x4. you learn new things every day. if im not mistaken, its an 11' aluminum box, im not 100% sure tho. i wont be loading it every day like many do. its mainly for my leaves and spring clean up and for the 2-3 small install jobs i do every month

6. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

check the brake lines,fuel lines etc. for rot /rust:mechanic: and check the frame rails in front of the lower control arms and make sure their not cracked or rotted:nono: , as far as the price goes seems high to me for a 1999 unless were talking different currency:confused:

7. serafii

serafii Senior Member

the underbody is rust free, and the frame is all mint. it passed inspection about 2 months ago. if u take a look on truckpaper.com, there are 92s and 93s non 4x4 going for the same price.

8. wooddan

wooddan Junior Member
    from Mass

is that a current pic? where is gas only 1.03? or is it 11.03

9. serafii

serafii Senior Member

The picture is from last winter..it was $1.03 a liter lol not gallon

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

In Canada where it is priced per litre. That would be approx $3.85 US gallon.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 1999 3500HD. Bought it new, plowed for the first 5 years and it has salted every year. The 6.5 is pretty good. That box is painted so I am guessing it is steel. The GVWR is 12000 at most I think. The front end is going to be over the weight rating with that plow and you won't have much payload left to run legal with the plow on.

12. serafii

serafii Senior Member

He got the box painted to match the rest of his fleet. He tells me he can load 3 tons legally in the summer. And in the winter here, we don't have a weight limit, well to a certain extent. U see ppl with 3/4 ton trucks with 2 yard salters loaded to its gills with 9 foot plows hanging off the front n no one says anything

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Ya we have the 3/4 ton 2 yard salter guys here too. Do you know the GVWR? Not trying to bust your chops, I have a 4.4 yard salter on my 3500HD but it is frame mounted but still illegal.

14. serafii

serafii Senior Member

Noo he told me the GVWR but I forgot, I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow to make sure

15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Dido on the cracks. Fuel lines are expensive, as far as price...we bought our 00 GMC with 67,000 and a newer tranny last summer for 4500.00. It needed some work like fuel lines, ball joints and a few other little things totaling around 4k. It also needs door skins, a front fender and a cab corner which is probably going to cost me a couple grand to repair and repaint. Your looks to be in a lot better shape, the plow looks old as hell but looks to be in decent shape. Yours also has over 100k in mileage. Ours also didn't come with a plow, just a mount. We bought the 8ft Fisher for it for another 1800.00. So do the math, it looks like a wash,lol. I would go to him with cash and offer him 11k.

16. serafii

serafii Senior Member

The plow is a MM1. It only plowed for 2 light seasonsn, it slept every winter after that. It just looks scary because he got it sanblasted and painted all yellow. I woulda preferred the head gear black but ill do it when I own it. It has 105 000 km so that's about 62 000 miles so its still fairly "new".

He would never accept 11k, I'm having a hard time getting him to let go at 12k

17. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

If I was gonna spend $12k on an older truck, I would think about going to the bank and getting a loan on something newer...

But with that said, it's nice to have your equipment paid for.

That truck looks a little high priced to me... But it is in nice shape.

18. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

I would pass. Check the upcoming auctions trucks are going cheap around here. Example 2000 f450 7.3 diesel dump ultramount trucks side mount with no plow. 5200.00. I sold a 96 fsuperduty for 9000.00 last year with 109000 miles and in good condition. Check Ritchie Bros. and broaden your search you can find a better deal. Check out Craiglist also alot of Companys dumping stuff lately.

19. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

My old work truck was a 99 3500 with 130,000 miles on it and for the last 5 years its needed an injector pump every year. I think the 6.5 is under powered.(at least mine was) For that price you can get something that i would say is more dependable.

20. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I didnt see the "km", damn canadiens,lol. Well you figure I have 4500 into my truck, roughly 4k in repairs and another 2k into a plow so around 10500 total. BTW the dealer was asking 7k as is. Cash talks!