1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'm building a homemade snow plow - need advice - can anyone please help?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by whitewing, Dec 23, 2010.

1. whitewing

whitewing Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I hope someone here can answer a question for me. I'm not into snow removal for a business, but I am building a homemade snow plow to try to take care of our roughly 500 foot driveway (that has a little bit of a hill on it). I don't have equipment to cut/weld steel, so I'm trying to be creative and work with what I have.

Working with a limited budget and limited tools, I have successfully figured out how to build/mount a plow to my truck. I cut a water heater tank in half, and will be mounting it to my truck using a heavy duty 2x4 and 2x6 frame that I built which will mount along the truck frame using quite a few tie down straps. The blade (half of the tank) will be mounted to a 2x6 which is heavily supported on the contraption I built. I have it all built, except for mounting the blade. I don't have any pictures of it, but here is my question.

Since I will not be able to raise or lower this blade, would it be wise to mount the blade with a little bit of clearance (perhaps a 1/4 inch) above the pavement, so that I do not damage the driveway in areas that may be uneven?

Or, would it be best to just mount it so that it will be flush against the pavement, and consider that the blade will just rise above any areas that might be uneven? I'm hooking it to a 95 Dodge ram 4x4.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Lugnut: Thank You! That's exactly what I needed to understand. It's funny too, it took a long time for your pic to upload and when you said use a bolt so it can float, the image you made is exactly what came to mind - that's what I'll do. Thanks again.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. standenc

standenc Junior Member

buy a snow blower

3. chad4467

chad4467 Junior Member

Anthony
    I would probably attach a piece of 1/4" rubber on the edge of the tank/blade so that your driveway doesnt get damaged and it would raise the edge up by the thickness of the rubber.

Chad

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You're going to mount this thing made out of wood on the truck with tie down straps?

If you're determined to make this work, I'd lift it with a cheap electric winch. You want the plow ride on the pavement/dirt and float with the terrain. If it's lifted some and dive it into a little hill, I think your tie downs are going to let you down.

I'd build something out of steel and bolt it to the truck, but to each his own.

5. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

I build my own stuff also, its cheaper and I can over built it the way I want.

You may want to look at www.snowsport.com and look at how they mount. You may even want to hook it to the hitch on the rear and plow backwards.

6. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

i agree this needs to float like other plows, i would cut the wood attaching it to the truck and put a bolt through it or something to allow for up and down movement even if you can't lift it

2x4.jpg

7. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

WTF!!! Save your beer and cigarette money and buy a used plow. You could buy a beat to death plow for that truck for way less than $800.00. It will work 1,000 times better than that death trap you described. Even a garden tractor with a plow or blower will be less than $500.00!!! Stay away from the Wild Turkey while your at the drawing board!

8. whitewing

whitewing Junior Member

There's no need for sarcasm Vinny's

Vinny's - dude - I don't need your sarcasm. What are you 12 years old? Yeah I'm sure for $500 - $1000 I could probably buy something that would be much better than what I'm building. But that's not an option for me at this moment in time, so I'm doing the best I can with what I have to work with. Why don't you take your rude and sarcastic self elsewhere, because I doubt anyone else here appreciates comments like that either.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  9. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

O.K. Dude.....Wood will never hold up to the stress of pushing snow. Am I the only one here that knows that? What is the guage metal of the water heater? 18 guage? Way to thin and will bend, twist and damage the front of your truck. As far as the wood frame goes, when it snaps and goes through your rad., oil pan or better yet your floor board, look out. No, I am not 12, you can add 40 years to that and have been a fabricator for a good part of those years. I have been pushing snow since 1975 and seen a lot of damage done to REAL plows. That was not sarcasm, just trying to keep it light and whoever drives that truck safe!! Good luck to you sir!

10. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Vinny is right.

you need to re-think what you are doing.

come up with a better plan....

11. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

I see repair bills in your near future.

12. whitewing

whitewing Junior Member

Ok....ok

Alright - I realize that this may not work. I don't know. But I won't know until I try. What I do know is that right now I have a shovel - and a big long driveway that I need to be able to clean. The shovel option...is not a realistic option.

I'm not going to be going 40 miles per hour down my driveway while doing this. I will be taking my time and as careful as I can be. What I have built...I believe is pretty sturdy.

If it doesn't work, then at least I tried. If it works...I will post pictures, and be happy that I was able to use some creativity and $60 worth of stuff to solve the problem I have. Later on when I am able, I'll buy a better option. I don't generally fail when I put my mind to something, that is why I came to this forum looking for advice from people who have experience with this sort of thing.

I appreciate the input from everyone involved, and will post my results one way or another.

13. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Post the pics.

14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

that is why I came to this forum looking for advice from people who have experience with this sort of thing.

You say you are coming to this forum for advice from people with experience with this sort of thing and when you hear there advice about how it is not going to work and how you can do some major damage to your vehicle. You dont want to hear it. Then what was the point of you asking the question if you were not going to take the advice of the experts. Seems like a waste of your money and yours and our time.

15. johnhealey1776

johnhealey1776 Junior Member

16. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I just viewed the YouTube video. That does look interesting but I am not sure that I trust that. I also agree with the above post about the thickness and guage of the hot water heater. I do applaud you for innovative thinking. I hope you do not damage your vehicle

17. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

I have a friend back in the 80's that made a plow out of 2x4s and plywood. He put in on his CAR and ran around his neighborhood plowing driveways, he did a good job but it only held up for an hour or so. I guess if you build it right and take your time, for your own drive you should be ok. Unless you get a blizzard !!!

18. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I think if you really want to follow through with this idea it would be far safer to make this be a tow behind plow rather than a pusher. The advantage being that whatever happens the truck isn't running over it.

The tow behind version would be much easier to design, and when you're done it's 30 seconds to unhitch it.

19. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Do you think WE have experience mounting 1/2 a water heater to our frontends with tie straps and wood? Listen, just do it and post some before and after pics. A video would be even better. If it works reasonable well, your our hero and we all applaud. If it crashes and burns, we get to laugh again and again as we replay it. This is the chance you take and the price you pay for building a project on the internet. Don't let us down. :drinkup: All the best.

20. MattR

MattR Senior Member

You did state that buying snow removal equipment was not an option at this time. I understand times are tough for everybody, or at least most of us. Yet, what the heck you gonna do when the Ol'Lady wants some hot water? Oh wait...now I see why the tie down straps are needed. They are used to put the two halves back together when it is time to use the hot water. Sorry my mind was a bit slow on this one. I did have one thought though. If your house is on wheels, move it closer to the road, less snow to shovel and the Ol' lady will be happy to still have hot water.

Would like to see the before and after pics as well and good luck to ya.

Happy Holidays,
    Matt