1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

im back.... more q's

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SPL2Alan, Aug 5, 2003.

1. SPL2Alan

SPL2Alan Junior Member

if you don't remember, here's my first post http://65.54.246.250/cgi-bin/linkrd...om//showthread.php?threadid=9640&goto=newpost
    now about the brakes..... the truck doesn't actually have a complete front end...... so would it be easier say, to find a full front end out of a truck with disc brakes on it, that can bolt right into this frame i have? what year would work?
    next off, i just want to say, that i've found a body for the chevy, and also a 350...... the truck drives down the road, but its only a 2wd, but the guy only wants 450 bucks for it.... i figure the body alone is worth that, being as its in fair to good condition.... minor surface rust, no major damage.....
    so i am thinking about getting it.....
    the guy i work with seems to think that i can use the tranny out of the 2wd on my 4 wheel drive..... just doesn't seem right to me for some reason.... if this is possible, well then hooray! But i just needed to double check that
    :eek:
    i know this is long, and sorry if im buggin people with stupid questions, but this is exciting for me :) Thanks for the help guys!

2. 84406

84406 Junior Member
    from canada

A two wheel drive trans will not work just as it comes from the 2 wheel truck. Tail shaft housing or tail shaft and housing is usually required.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

84406 is correct on the trans.If you can find a good trans shop,they should be able to swap the neccesary parts to get it to bolt up to your transfer case.

You should be able to swap in a newer front axle,but in may require some modifications.Gettng a complete front axle with everything on it will make the swap easier.

I don't know if the front springs are the same length.If they are,it's probably a bolt in affair.If not,you will have to use the original springs,and bolt your new axle to it.New,or custom u-bolts may be needed.

You will probably have to make brackets to mount the front flex lines,and you may have to play around to find hoses to fit,find adapters,or even redo the hard lines.

You will also have to check the spindle taper for the tie rods to see if they are the same.If not,they will snap off,and that is extremely dangerous.

If your not capable of doing this kind of stuff yourself,you may want to find a shop that is.When messing around with brakes and steering,mistakes can be costly.

4. 84406

84406 Junior Member
    from canada

A two wheel drive trans will not work just as it comes from the 2 wheel truck. Tail shaft housing or tail shaft and housing is usually required. Don't know why it sent twice but it wouldn't let me delete.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2003