1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'm back...it's been a long time!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dirtymartini, Nov 30, 2013.

1. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

I used to plow for money back in the mid 1980's, I had a couple dozen driveways plus a few small commercial lots and a small trailer park. I also had a tool business and without getting into a lot of detail it all imploded in the late 80's.

Fast forward to this August, I bought a 2005HD Chevy Silverado with a 7' 6" Fisher SD plow. I"m looking to get back into it but things have changed!

Now it seems like all the Landscaper/Grass cutters have most of the snow plowing business.

My question is...How do I estimate my plowing fees competitively? I don't want to drastically undercut everyone else locally. I'll have a lot of pissed off plowing contractors and be screwing myself in the process!

I'm looking for some sort of guideline to go by.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

An SD on a 3/4 ton? Better only do driveways with that...you'll destroy it otherwise. I only do plowing, not much summer work and I'm priced competitively for my area. Just go with what you can live with, but don't go so low that you screw yourself.

3. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Yeah, I'm only planning on driveways or very small lots.

4. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Know your costs, add your profit...add sales tax (if applicable) and you have your price. If you keep your overhead low, you can keep your price more competitive.

5. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

I don't know why I keep thinking this is an SD....It's an RD!

6. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Start as a sub, maybe hourly at first.. While doing that keep your eyes and ears open about open bids