1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Im an Idiot and need help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mrprezz, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mrprezz

mrprezz Junior Member
    from ct

I took my plow off for the first time today. I am a complete novice at plow trucks. I tried to get it back on and I cant get the plow to line up with the mount on the truck. After messing around with it for an hour or so I think I made things a whole lot worse. Thinking that I needed the plow blade to be elevated to get it connected properly, i attempted to connect the plugs and raise the plow without it being fully connected ( locked in) to the truck mount.That did not work well. Now the hydrolic arm is fully extended and now there is no more play in the A frame so now it does not move back and forth. I tried raising the plow again but now it will not go up. it will only move side to side. Can anyone tell by the ramblings i have have just written if this something I can fix. And if so any suggestions how to get it connected properly on the truck.

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Would be nice to know what kind of plow u have?

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

What kind of plow??? Fisher? Meyer? what?

Attach the plugs again.....hold the down button down on the control for 4 seconds. Put the control down without touching any other buttons. Now go to the A frame and push it down all the way. If this is an older plow, it may take some weight to get it down.

You know what, just call me 207-892-3005

Ryan

4. mrprezz

mrprezz Junior Member
    from ct

I just got the truck a couple of days ago. I do not see anything written on the plow that says the brand.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

What color is it. Is this a Brand New truck and plow?

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

This is not a good start for your plowing career..
    If you can't mount it you probably shouldn't be plowing with it. Mounting is the easy part....plowing poorly or incorrectly can get you stuck and shoveling for hours, or worse, put payup in the hands of the repair guy!

In the truck on the control box it will say the manufacturer of the plow too.

While Repo man's first reply is very likely the answer, as he said, we need more info to answer.

Oh, and you probably already learned not to do that again.:jester:

Don't feel bad- I blew the transmission in mine this morning!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  7. mrprezz

mrprezz Junior Member
    from ct

It is a fisher plow. It is older. And I am stuck!!!!

8. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

if its an old old fisher most of the guys i know with those leave them on because they dont go willingly and the weight a ton. Take a pic and then we could better assist you. A pictures worth a thousand words

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

MRPREZZ........CALL ME! I have a 96, and take it off and put it on just fine. 207-892-3005

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

not always buddy guy........ have seen older meyers take 3 guys and a half hour......now if its a new plow then yes its very easy but that wasnt the case 20 years ago

11. mrprezz

mrprezz Junior Member
    from ct

I fixed it. Broke my back but i fixed it. I had to lift the actual plow blade about 3 feet. Me and my wife hahaha!!! Got the pegs in the slots with a little wiggling. Once it was on the hydrolics worked fine.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Now....go to your dealer, ask them to show you the proper way to take it on and off. You'll thank yourself later!

13. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Sound like he has a conventional.

Trick is, when you take it off, collapse the lift cylinder all the way, remove the chain, uncouple hoses, place blocks under the rear of the A-frame, remove pins. A 3 foot long piece of pipe under the the A-frame helps, give it a slight lift on each side while pulling the pins helps take the pressure off the pins.

When you put it back on, work in reverse. Have the wife come out and help you line it up in the mount, use your pipe again to lift the rear of the A-frame to get the pins in. You sometimes have to give the blade a push or pull to get the pin holes closer. Dont try and pick the blade up using the lift cyliner hoping you can swing it around to get the pins lined up (have a feeling thats what you did).

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

No need for that whole process- the cheater bar is a "when you're stuck and tired" item.

I used an 8 foot speedcast for years- it took me longer to mount my MM1 for the first 2 seasons than the speedcast.

Pull the truck next to it, hook the lift chain and lift the blade just a little- you lifted too much. You only want to take the weight of the blade with the lift arm, now you can pull, push, pivot, whatever you need to do to the blade to put the mounting ears in the push plates and kick the pins.

Taking it off- follow Crash395's post.

I can't speak about Meyers (almost extinct in MA) but the old Fishers were a breeze to mount! and ONE person can do it with the above process, anywhere, anytime, in 2 feet of snow. Been there, done it.

15. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

floor jack is your friend.

16. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

This sounds exactly like the headache i go through everytime I mount my arctic.:gunsfiring:

17. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a classis meyer on the dodge and I drive up close enough into the garage roll the plow to the truck ( I keep my plow on two dollies ) hook the chain and lift it up maybe 5 inchs off the ground, now you can line the pins so easy it takes two minutes

I hate the light frame tho i preffer to take it off after every storm :cry:

[​IMG]

18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you have trouble just getting the plow on the truck not sure you should even be plowing. Sure it may take some time and effort to get it mounted but the time and effort to plow is MUCH greater. When you bought the truck why didn;t you have the person you bought it from show you the basics???

19. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

I'm in my second year of plowing my own driveway with an '87Chevy 1/2 ton and a 7' 6" Fisher plow. I take the plow off when I need the truck for other jobs. I have learned how to keep the A frame raised for proper easier mounting. I do, however, use the lift cylinder to raise the plow and then I swing it to line up the pins. Crash95 says not to do that. Why not?

Thanks.

20. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

sounds ok to me