1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

im about to pull my hair out!!!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Castlerockmo, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Castlerockmo

Castlerockmo Junior Member

I have to be the most unlucky person in business!

A few years ago I bought a 1 ton DRW CC 6.0 well this summer she finally gave me enough problems I thought it would be best to get rid of her before I had more problems. When I traded it off it had a cracked head. So I decided to get a 5.4 gasser heard they were a good engine from other owners. So I put 12 thousand miles on the truck (45,000) and one day this past october I was driving home after a day of mowing and it quit! Turns out it had a spun rod bearing and they had to put a new rod new bearings new crank and I think heads. So now my truck has 5 thousand more miles 50,000 and friday I was driving into town to help my brother in-law and I hear this HUGE explosion! Truck shuts off I have it towed they finally look at it and call me it has broken rod 4 broken rod caps broken piston. They said it looked like a grenade went off inside it. To top it all off,... Were suppose to get snow tonight!!! We don't get but an average 22 inches a year so I need to be out there every time the snows flying and I DON'T HAVE A TRUCK!! I will be three days before the short block gets in!! Dang it!

Sorry for the rant!

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Wow, that stinks. Sounds like your truck was built on a Friday at 315pm.

3. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Not that this will make you feel a whole lot better, but catasrophic failures like that are just plain rare these days. I'd kind of wonder if the latest failure had something to do with the previous rebuild.

4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I have to agree. Something does not sound right. None of the problems you are describing are endemic to the mod motors. In fact, this is the first I've ever heard of it.

5. Castlerockmo

Castlerockmo Junior Member

I talked to them again and their putting a long block in it now. But man it sucks I'm gona miss a night of plowing.

I think it was a mechanic error.

6. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I would almost bet it was mechanic error, or junk parts..

I would bet there was already something wrong with the motor when you bought the truck, it was probably doctored up to sell. then you using it for a work vehicle, well....pop.

quit buying them new fangled trucks, buy something old with a bunch of miles, so when it does break, you would be expecting it...

7. Mrplow247

Mrplow247 Member

agree with what everyone else is saying,

i have a 03 f250 sd with a 5.4 and it works great,

been reliabe for a long time and its over 120k, and never hiccups.

apparently your salesman stands behind his product (as to not get hurt when it goes kaboom)

really though this is a random problem i would suggest a better mechanic. something just sounds fishy:yow!:

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 02 250 with a 5.4. I have spent so much this year on it it is not funny now (2 days ago) #2 spark plug blew out and took the COP with it. I bought a Time Sert(R)$$ kit and put it in the other day and this thing still has a miss in the same cyl the time sert is in. I just did ball joints, axle u joints and rotors.I have to work on it more tomrrow this thing is killing me I feel your pain. It has 67k and the bed is rotted to **** too. I think I am going to build an 80's Chevy one ton.
    T.J.