1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'm a Scum Sucking Lowballer

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by EcoGreen Serv, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Had a call today calling me a Scum Sucking lowballer.

A buddy of mine has a store in a small strip mall, Wasn't happy with how the snow was handled over the last couple of year... He'd complained to the Mall management with now success so he asked me to bid and gave me all the contact info.

So I did.

The Parking area is 200 X 109 ft , All open, no curbs. Lots of room to stack along the long edge. With the road behind the stores is was 26500 sq/ft or 0.6 Acres

Didn't really want it because it's 20 minutes out of my way

So I bid $400 per push / $6500 Per Season Figuring I was way high

I get a call from the guy who's done it for the last 5 years all bent out of shape that now he has to match my price and I just cost him a ton of money in order for him to keep it.

He was getting $13000 per year to do it !!!!!!

Talked to my buddy again, Apparently the "Property Manager" is his Sister in Law..

Yes, I'm officially a Lowballer now ... :redbounce

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you aren't a lowballer, he is a gouger, serves him right

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Actually the sister in law is the gouger. She was charging the store to much

4. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Holy Buckets! The way some strip malls work, the mall management bills the tenants for all of the expenses, plus adds on a 10 - 20 % administration fee. They don't really care what the charges come in at when that is the case!! Good luck low baller!!!

5. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Around here that lot would be even cheaper.
    But if your in GTA I can only assume by the high sub rates offered that pricing would be high.
    The city used to get moderate winters but 4" would almost shut the city down.
    JMO

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Tell him if he had done his job to begin with, you'd have never been considered for the job anyhow. Not to mention, if he doesn't want to do it for that price, he doesn't have to. If I got lowballed and I literally would be losing money, or the job wasn't worth doing for the price, I'd let it go. He's just pissed b/c he got found out, not that you lowballed it. How you explained it, your price seemed average to me.

7. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

You got it, Got H20. I also think that your price is fair not even looking at the property. I am still confused why it would cost him a ton of money to match your price we are not talking 5 acres of pavement with onsite machinery.

8. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Congrats, Not on the lot ,but knowing your a lowballer . welcome to my world . LOL:laughing::laughing::laughing:

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I see this all the time. It cracks me up when I see guys get bent out of shape because they cant make $200 an hour with there pickup.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i had that happen to me last year. it was a 75000 sq ft lot. bid it out at 10k for the season. fair price i believe. while i was plowing it one night the guy came in the lot and said i lowballed it. he was doing it for 15k the last 3 years. he was gouging them bug time. he could not match the price he said. he said you cant any money on it. guess what happened this year he dropped his price 5k when he bid. what an idiot. he got caught.

11. Ketch

Ketch Member

How much and what kind of equipment were you using on that account? How'd it turn out? I'm thinking of bidding some larger accounts next year, depending on what happens this year... payup

12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

200x100 is half an acre
    should take less than 1/2 an hour to push.
    (although add some in for driving 20 minutes away)

Your bid is way high.
    His is ridiculous.

That's funny.

13. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

the price you gave is good, i wouldn't worry about it unless you don't want the lot lol

14. It was a complicated figure to arrive at.

Well Using my standard Sq/Ft formula it would have been.
    $263 / Push
    Added for 40 minutes Drive time and fuel.

And the special, "I Don't really want it, so If I'm going to do it I'll make it worth my time" Charge .:whistling:

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

So you charge $0.009924528 per sqft? You would charge roughly $431.716968 for an acre?

Would you really charge that much for this lot?

I wish I could get that much, I would be a millionaire! That lot would go for $50-60 here.

16. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

That's funny
    I use that too (esp in the summer)
    amazing how many of those you actually get.

17. Ketch

Ketch Member

If you think about it, there are good guys and bad guys. To us, the bad guys are the scum-sucking lowballers, who are quite different than lowballers. To the customer, the bad guys are price gouging rapists, who are quite different from enterprising individuals. I'm not Merriam-Webster, but the following definitions seem to better illustrate my point:

Scum-Sucking Lowballer: a person who makes it his or her standard business practice to undercut everybody at any cost, and often at the eventual detriment to the customer in the form of poor service, false charges/billing, and the Taliban work ethic.

Lowballer: a person who happens to have a lower price than the other guy, who usually pitches a fit like a whiny b1tch :cry: because he doesn't wanna take the time to go bid somebody else.

Price Gouging Rapist: a person who will do anything, and I mean anything, to make as much money as possible on an account. Actions usually include intimidating customers, harassing other contractors, being a ****** :realmad:. Also know as 'the other guy' in the definition of a 'Lowballer' above.

Enterprising Individual: someone who gives an honest price for work when asked, but will sometimes add an additional charge affectionately know as the "I Don't Really Want It, So If I'm Going to Do It, I'll Make It Worth My Time" charge payup when the desire for a particular job is lackluster.

Feel free to add your terms and definitions as well. :drinkup:

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

For a 45 minute plow that would be considered high here. You are working on 16 plows/year. That would be low for us. Where are you? We also have to include salt in most of our bids. Also is that 20 minutes in July or in a snow storm. You can do a lot of plowing instead of driving.

19. It's a retail area, It also includes the walkways and sidewalk.

:salute::salute:

I'm north of Hwy 89 , So we tend to get a fair bit more snow than you southern boys in Newmarket . This particular place was in Shelburne which is almost 20 minutes in the summer. Being the wind capital of Ontario, We get some major Drifting.. What would a lot like that go for in Newmarket ?.

20. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I still think people are crazy for including salt, and luckly we still have avoided it other then a couple places. Guess it works as long as you know how to price, but I've heard some stories before.