1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'm a newby with questions...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PLOWEDNYC, Feb 27, 2010.

1. PLOWEDNYC

PLOWEDNYC Junior Member

I am very new to the business, In fact I have been hired by a few experienced plowers who need help streamlining and organizing their business.I have a full time sales job for the last 10 years and these guys need my sales experience to help grow there business. I am very "green" here and would love to know some common prices when it comes to inches- How much from 6-8 or 8-12" per say, annual contracts where do I start prices? I have a guide as far as contracts etc. but need to know the basice prcing structures. They have several F250's, bobcats, shovelres, snow blowers as well as qccess to payloaders if I can obtain larger contracts. Be gentle this is my first post. Thank you all in advance.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Prices vary from region to region. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone from NY to tell you how much they charge since you are their new competition.

3. PLOWEDNYC

PLOWEDNYC Junior Member

Camden, I have landed a contract with small to average size lots, I have prices that we agreed upon with this company anyway I can pick your brain is there a way to private post? Sorry i'm just very new here.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you well need to get some more posts before you can PM, but i would politely suggest that asking your competition to tell you how to price things isn't likely. i would suggest that you post how much you have charged and how you worked out your prices, let some people critique it and it well give you some insight then

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

cant give you advice on exact pricing, and i dont know too many people that will

all i can say is, know all your costs. Example i know that to operate a skid steer cost is around 10 dollars per hour in depreation, plus fuel, plus maintenance, storage, delivery and pick up, and an operator. add them up muliply by the estimed hours...that is dirrect expense then figure out what the job is worth to you...after a few nights of thinking about it , figure out an hourly rate that includes profit and over head, then all you need to do is estimate the job time and multiply. seasonal is not going to be much different than a per push price multiplied by the avg number of plowable events for your area.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just call the local companies and ask for a price for a lot that is the size you plan to plow.
    Kind of crappy to waste their tie but at least you will get some prices.

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if you do, i suggest picking a lot that has multiple tenants and acting like a property manager on the phone, Had a friend do this once, thought he was so smart, until the guy came to give the price, and actually went inside the building and spoke with a manager. Kinda back fired a little

8. PLOWEDNYC

PLOWEDNYC Junior Member

Camden, buckwheat, elite, hydro, Thank you all for your feedback, as piecing this together with only having sales experience is tough but i'll get it done. Thank you for your ideas and valuable info. Any of you guys know the basics behind annual contracts? What I mean is, say I charge a company $450 for a small lot for up to 8 inches, in terms of annual how does that translate. I would think having annuals will give you a steady cash flow but nailing the bigger storms is the payday. Advise.

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You should look into joining SIMA (Snow and Ice Manager's Association). Membership is cheap and the amount of information available is endless.

Here's their website --> http://www.sima.org

Take a look around and if you have any questions you can e-mail me at majorleaguelawn AT gmail DOT com

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I don't use contracts.
    I do per-push accounts only. Works best for me and my customers.
    Contracts work great for alot of people so that they have money coming in even if it doesn't snow.