1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Illinois Depatment of Transportation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dlcs, Dec 28, 2009.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Has any of you Illinoisians seen IDOT's new plow trucks? Maybe its just me but does anyone find that the white strobes on the back of the trucks distracting? I had the pleasure of following a IDOT truck Sunday morning. Those white strobes are just too bright and makes your eyes loose focus. It took me a while after I passed him(four lane highway) to adjust. I always thought white strobes were for police and fire in Illinois.
  2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Is that the toll way or IDOT ? I have not seen any new IDOT trucks over by me yet. Theres a good size DOT yard over by my storage space in Waukegan. Nothing new over there.
  3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

yeah ive seen them. They are pretty damn bright. they have 4 LED white and 4 LED amber and the colors flash alternately. I still think the old whelen 500-700 series strobes were the most effective without being too distracting.
  4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Yep thats them. Gave me a slight headache, from jsut being behind them for a couple of miles. They are just creating another hazzard, cause no one could stand following behind them for very long. I went to IDOT's website and sent them a e-mail. Maybe others have complained too.
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

The Lee county IDOT yard has got at least two of these new trucks. I'm surprised they haven't sent some up your way yet. You will know it, when they get them.
  6. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Yeah the amber lights were fine and plenty effective. I havent had to tril behind one yet but I passed a few on the shoulder and I normally get over a lane or 2 to see around them.
  7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I too have noticed them, and found them to be very attention-getting during the daytime. My biggest concern was the build-up of snow all across the LED lightbar rendering them almost ineffective. Even my Whelen Edge with strobes would generate enough heat to keep the lenses clear....

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It is Illinois! Shut up now! They will tell you what you like and don't like and you better get use to it because it is nationwide now. :realmad:

Somebody's sisters friends uncle's brother-in-law got the contract to sell the lights. Every truck and or state car MUST be equipped with the lights NOW! You got money you can afford more in tax's. payup

After every truck and or DOT car is outfitted with the new lights they will be deemed to dangerous and a new contract will be put out for new lights under a new safety guideline and then, somebody's sisters friends uncle's brother-in-law will get the contract to sell the lights. :dizzy: :dizzy:
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I seem them around woodstock all the time since they have a yard here. I agree with the new white led's being hard on the eye's.
  10. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

just throwing this out there, could be wrong, but i would speculate that those serve a specific purpose, so you dont follow them or tail them. You dont want to be behind them becasue they are distracting and annoying. I causes you to fall back or change lanes. The signs on the back of the trucks read stay 100-200 feet back. Just a thought maybe im way off, but i wouldnt be surprised.
  11. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

I think that the KEY ingredient here is that you saw/noticed the truck. They are warning lights. Being that I'm a big Whelen fan, I'm happy to see that the New IDOT Trucks are using the random flash pattern because in my profession, people tend to ignore warning lights anyway. Hopefully the new lights will grab more people's attention and get them to slow down during inclement weather. It's Obvious that I like lights but, then object is to get motorists to slow down while we are doing are jobs. Have a safe Plow Season:salute:
  12. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Followed one the other night that had the new LED's. Why are they changing the colors. The one I followed had both whites and the old amber. The ambers worked just fine. Did Illinois just need to spend more money foolishly again? How about the new HID blue/white plow lights that totally blind you when coming towards you?
  13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Ok, so when you you are coming up on a DOT truck clearing the shoulders, do you not pass him, or do you stay back and drive 25 mph? While creating another hazzard for all the drivers behind you that are doing drastic manuvers to get around you and then pass a plow truck. At some point traffic has to come close to a plow truck to pass right? Blinding a driver wheather he is riding to close or not is never a good thing.
  14. bristolturf

no i dont do that I obviously pass him, I was more stating the fact of tailing him. I see it so often by me these drivers get right on there tail and it is potentially dangerous. When I approach a plow, I always change lanes and slowly pass him by if he has his blade engaged. That is what I was stating when I said change lanes, to pass him, I really just didnt want to have to explain it to him like that. But in the end I agree it does seem like a waste of money.
  15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

But my point was that you still have to get close to the truck when you pass. These white lights are like getting a camera flashed in front of you face. They are dangerous and shouldn't be on the truck. I was several car lengths behind this truck and was blinded.
  16. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Pretty sure that I have seen the lights you are referencing, and I didn't think that they were blinding at all. Just my opinion.................:nod:
  17. bristolturf

I understand where your coming from, and like i was saying it was just a mere thought. There could be a very logical reason for them, or a very stupid reason. It was just a guess.
  18. airtime

airtime Member

Well said Kid, I agree 100%
  19. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I havent seen any new trucks around here, I have the same good ole' International and the same driver that's been doing the highway I live on for years. I would love to find out where I could buy a retired IDOT truck loaded with all the toys. I have never had any complaints about IDOT, they know how to keep the highway clear, atleast around here.
  20. bristolturf

usually you have to buy those trucks at auctions.You could contact some of the public works in your area and ask them if they plan to auction any of them anytime soon. Sadly though, at least around here i know they strip them clean of all the lights cb etc and usually its just a truck with the plow and salter.