1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Illinois Bulk Salt Quotes

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kubota 8540, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Anybody get their quotes yet? I got mine Friday, $74.50 / ton delivered 60-70 miles out here in the boonies.....good ....bad....average? Also it's / 1 load C.O.D?

2. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

Pretty average

3. hiranger

hiranger Member

I have been quoted at $68 ton not delivered so by the time you add delivery you are about right on

4. Kubota 8540

Received a flyer in the mail last year just by chance. Never had heard of him but was pi$$ed at the previous supplier so though I would give him a go. The load I received within 6 hours of initial phone contact, was the nicest looking salt I had ever received, it looked like solar salt and bone dry. Had to shake it thru the spreader a little more than normal, but was perfect for brine making. After making 8,000 gallons of brine, I sold the brinemaker to another Plowsite member and when I hosed the IBC tank out, there was only 3/4" of sediment in the bottom of 1 tank. So, the salt was extremely clean or pure. Getting another load this week and am hoping it will be just as good. If it is, I will try to find room for the second load.

5. hiranger

hiranger Member

You gonna have some brine for me pretty soon? The builder has pushed my building back 1-2 weeks. Should be in the building my the end of October. I would like to get some brine around that time if possible

6. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

$66 a ton in Chicagoland

7. Kubota 8540

I have a couple thousand gallons ready to go.

8. hiranger

hiranger Member

Sounds good. I will be getting holler in the near future. I will probably get about 600 gallons to start with

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  9. Kubota 8540

Received my salt today looks pretty good, nice bright white, bone dry, I think it will make good brine. Nice company to do business with, think I'll stick with them a while. I like dealing with a company when the deal is based on trust. Called and ordered they delivered and I wrote them a check. Simple as that, 2nd year in a row.

10. hiranger

hiranger Member

I didn't think anyone did business that way anymore. Real lucky I would say.

11. Kubota 8540

I remember years ago when I would go to the stock pile, get loaded, get scaled and paid CASH, not check? But then again salt then was $7.00 / ton. Then that came to an end and they said they couldn't accept cash anymore and I said WTF? Had to pay by check. OK? Then it went for years that way until I had to fill out the credit apps and jump thru hoops to charge it? Then had to fill out credit apps, jump thru hoops, and call for a purchase order then they would send me a pick up number. Parted ways with one company because they wanted to be paid first.

So making a phone call, getting my salt and writing a check is pretty nice.

12. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Delivered or picked up?

13. HLS Wholesale

Delivered.

14. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Should be an interesting season....

:D

15. HLS Wholesale

Aren't they all, Trent? LOL

16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

were is everyone in chicago getting there bulk from?

17. Kubota 8540

Got mine from Salting Material Supply out of Elgin 847-697-9797 Steve, I think?

18. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

hey that number didnt work, did you mis type possibly?

19. Kubota 8540

Double checked, its right off the shipping order. But this is another # 630-739-2270 cell?

Come to think of it they might have phone problems, when I dialed them it was weird the first time too. Never the less they have been good to deal with, the delivery driver was a little freaked out delivering way out here in the boonies, said he never had to leave the Chicago area before. Guess he never seen feilds of corn before?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  20. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

True, but this is the first year that I can recall that one mine decided it would be fun to undercut the market by nearly 20%. That move caused a lot of headaches.

I mean, it's bad enough that the snow contractors have to deal with lowballers...now the salt distributors have to deal with it, too?

Ugh.