1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Illinois Boys! How many times did you salt this weekend?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow Picasso, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Hey Guys, Just got in from some clean ups and saltings. I'm just wondering how many of you salted as much as I did this weekend? Salted early Sat. morning...early Sun morning...early Mon. morning...and now just salted again from that 1" deal we just got.How about you?

2. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Yeap we were out those same days and times as well. I saw a ton of salt trucks out each day. That storm really died out quick. We had a good 4 hours of rain Sunday, if that had been all snow we would have been in good shape. Then we had about a half hour or so of sleet and then another half hour of decent size snow flakes but it turned to flurries and that was all she wrote. Oh well, I made a little cash salting so no complaints here. To tell you the truth I was just happy to get out of the house and actualy have something to do.

3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

i did personally did not do any salting. But within our group we did a bunch. I only did plowing. In round lake, lindenhurst and that area got a good 3" of heavy snow. It was alot of fun. but here in schaumburg i think we got a inch?

Hopefully next time! but who knows

4. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

Finally it's about time !!!!!!!:bluebounc

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Do you work for Howard?

I spread so much salt this weekend I am having a hard time even typing this now. Close to 600, #50 pound bags. By 2 AM this morning I could barely get the damn things out of the bed of the truck. It seemed they turned from 50 pounders to 100.

Plowed a bunch as well.

Total time 19.5 hours.

6. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Same here . I found a good way to make those easier to handle. BRING YOUR SONS:)
    They love being up late anyway so I took them with me .

7. stroker79

No, I plowed for Ben. He is a friend of my Dads so im not even sure what he goes by commercially, haha. I plowed from midnight until 12noon. I was so tired since I had been up all of Sunday as well. Was alot of fun. This was my first time out, ever so it was also a learning experiance. I got the gist of it all real quick but I was also taught by my Dad whos been doing this for 20 years or so.

Not to sound greedy but I sure cant wait for the next one! hopefully it will be fluffy instead of wet and heavy

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I was just wondering since you said Lindinhurst and Round Lake. I have 2 accounts in those towns that are hard to get to when things are deep here because of how far away they are. He had someone plow them out over the weekend and i was wondering if it was you. I went up to salt them after they were plowed.

9. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

Was real rough Sunday. No sleep due to watching the Bears and then having to go out a little later. Glad 4 the big bulk box on the back, NO hand loading.payup

10. stroker79

I did 3 daycares and a CVS, those werent yours were they? itd be kinda funny if they were yours, haha

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Nope. I do the Wendy's.

They must have trouble finding decent plow guys over there because i know a few guys that drive there to do a few jobs.

Driving from Schumburg has to suck. Are you on the clock?

12. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

My route is off Randall & 72. Domic's, Woodsman and couple of strip malls. easy money wide open and always on the clock.

13. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

salted 3 times and put about 45 tons through the spinner.

14. stroker79

ahh, thats cool.

The drive wasnt too bad. I dont mind it, once i was in the area i didnt leave until it was done. Then i had a job in wheeling then home. I made lots of profitpayup which is all good with me, haha

15. stroker79

forgot about the multi quote option

anyway those are some big lots! let me know if you ever need some help. I am just a sub with a few of my own jobs.

Wow thats alot salt!!payup

16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I threw salt on Sunday, Monday, and today....about 3,000 pounds worth though!;)

17. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

We plowed quite a few Monday morning and night. We also put down abpout 8,000 pounds of salt too, throughout the weekend. We only got about 2 " of snow, 1 inch monday morning and 1 inch monday evening. Got to love 1 inch triggers. payup Really though, even with what little snow we had, you have to get it cleared off, when these cold temps are coming. If not you will have it there all week, too much liability. I think too mnay guys blew this storm off and didn't plow or salt anything. We have so many lots here that are snow packed and slick as hell.

18. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Salted 4 times (Saturday Morning, Sunday Morning, Monday Morning & Rush Hour) and plowed about 1-1.5" up in Arlington Hts at 3 of our accounts up there. Ran about 15 tons total.

19. SwiftSnow&Salt

SwiftSnow&Salt Member

umm...

5 pallets here.... 49 bags ea @ 50#'s = 12,250 pounds of salt

WHEW what a weekend!

20. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

Salted 4 times (Sat morn, Sun morn, Mon morn, Mon eve) and went through 80 tons plus another 6 skids of calcium. Nice weekend!