1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

illegal workers

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by hummer81, Feb 3, 2012.

1. hummer81

hummer81 Member
    from MN

I know this thread will spark alot of reaction. Shame on all that have hired or that are currently hiring illegals that are not 1099. To all that refuse to do so thanks and god bless you. Granted lawncare and snow removal are not skilled trades, we still need professionals rep. each industry. Let me know what you think.

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

What part of Illegal don't people understand?..
    Fine the heck out of anyone caught hiring illegals to the point they would never consider do so in the first place.If you cannot compete paying an honest wage you shouldn't be in business.
    Illegal workers are a series problem in our country costing US tax payers $100 Billion dollars a year "Cost estimates usually only measure the fiscal cost, which weighs government spending (such as on public schools, medical care, incarceration and unemployment benefits) against government income (from income, property and sales taxes.) " ...It is a real problem and is hurting every U.S Tax payer.
    The cost est was from an ABC news article.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/illegal-immigrants-cost-us-100-billion-year-group/story?id=10699317

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. hummer81

hummer81 Member
    from MN

oshkosh, couldn't say it better myself. I just wanna hear from the guys that think they can rationalize harboring illegal workers. I guarantee there are many among us that ignore this and continue to contribute to our major economical problem. Anyone?

4. Oshkosh

I understand, having been in the paving industry I can understand the temptation,that being said I never acted.

5. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

I hired a born in the USA late 20s caucasion male this past summer.......he was as slow as molasses and even after showing him multiple times how to do things, I had to go back and correct every single thing he touched. The funniest thing was he actually stole a blank check out of my glove box made it out to himself and signed my name, went to the bank and cashed it.....he is in jail now, but at least I tried to hire American. I tried a few years ago to hire a crew leader and the guy told me he needed at least $22 per hour plus full benefits to start after informing me that he was not a "working" crew leader but more of a supervisor....lmao. My immigrant workers all have shown me required ID and get paid entirely on the books. Whether or not the ID's are real is not my burden to prove at this time, but I wonder where all the money is going that gets deducted out of their checks every week?

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

It is your burden actually....you need to "e-verify" ALL employees regardless of what color they are. Your a$$ is grass if one of your illegals kills someone while operating your equipment

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not going to take a side, but your statement implies the wage is going to be less if they are (illegals, non white or whatever other category you want to insert)...

As someone already posted, sometimes it's not the wage, but consistent work force they are after. I bet they'd pay more to (whoever) as long as the person shows up, has respect for the job, can perform the tasks, and keep the customers happy.
    Unfortunately the landscape/snow shoveling industry is hard to find that person.

If this thread can be a constructive discussion about labor, maybe it'll stay up for a while.
    Get into a screaming match and I won't make it back this afternoon to read the next post...

8. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

illegals are here want more money......but they are worth it

9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I've thought about hiring a few Mexicans, damn hard workers....

I know one guy that has about 20 illegals, I'm guessing they are getting $8/hr cash....

10. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

I think its a myth that they work for cheap....the minium here is $15 per hour. They are not afraid to work becuase they have families to support. They work at a steady pace all day and barely stop. Every year the white kids work less and want more. Illegal labor is here to stay, the govt can never stop it.

11. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Someone needs to turn him in.

12. Oshkosh

I will keep my comments to a minimum in a effort to get others to speak up.
    You know where I stand. It is anti American to hire Illegal workers....
    You cost every tax payer including yourself a ton of extra money,that is if you pay taxes to begin with.

13. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think it's a myth that they work for less money. We all know that they work for less money.I know that they are hard workers. You see 4 of them stuffed into the cab of every landscraper truck around here. They are into everything around here. They do Roofing ,Siding,Framing, You name it and they are trying to do it. My competition use"s them for roofing. They are working for two thirds of the money American workers get. So guess who is the low bidder on the block. I do siding jobs for a builder in Bristol. He has a guy who charges 8.00 dollars an hour per man.You just call him up and tell him how many men you want and he delivers them to the job in the back of an old dump truck.He picks them up at the end of the day. You just write one check to the boss. He uses them for all his landscaping.Many of my friends are framers. They are losing a lot of work to those guys.They say that they are charging half price to frame houses.I know it's true because I have talked to the builders.They mess up a lot of houses as they haven"t been doing it long enough to have all the skill that they need.One builder I know pays a guy just to watch them so he can catch to screw ups before they happen. I have seen some messed up stuff. I don't know how the get it past the inspectors. That being said.It is not going to change. So everybody better get used to it. I get about one call a month from one of them trying to keep their crews busy.You really can"t blame them they are just trying to feed there family's just like the rest of us.

14. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

If people refused to hire them they would go back where they came from. It is anti-American to hire them, the people that do are greedy. I don't buy the argument that Americans don't want the jobs.

15. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

Americans do want jobs, they just dont want to work hard. Usually the white kids last a few days then disappear after their first pay day...no calls or letters just gone. The illegals come from a completly different world where life is much more difficult. The majority are very well mannered and appreciate everything you do for them. They also have pride and their work, they dont like for the quickest way to get in and get out.

16. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

Yes we are losing tax money, but im sure we are losing out more with white collar crime and schemes. Illegal labor is like the drug trade, it will never go away

17. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

This fall I went looking for one additional operator for my Deere 444k wheel loader. I used multiple outlets, craigslist, word of mouth, and other trades men that I knew, trying to fill this position.
    Almost 80 people responded.
    On craigslist, while I had a phone number, most would simply send emails with some of the worst writing skills I've ever seen.
    The phone calls, the average person made it clear; "I don't shovel." Some would set up the appointment and then never show up.
    The laid off trades men, the few that expressed interest made it clear they'd only want cash because of collecting unemployment. (how's that better than illegals)
    Others wanted to jump ship from where they worked because they wanted to run a new machine.
    Finally by Christmas, I was introduced to a self employed painter that was slow this winter.
    Gave him some basic training, long course on safety, (how to climb into a wheel loader/three points of contact) and route maps.
    Funny thing is, the shovelers get the most hours of all, and pay is equal across the board.
    I'm paying guys/girls to do a job. You're not worth any more or less regardless of race or ethnic
    background.

18. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i see everyone's one delema, i agree with not hiring illeagals. but the wrost part of it all is they work harder than some people i know and dont ***** about every little thing. i do thinks its wrong but it's the truth. i how ever have a paying job witch is why i refuse to collect unemployment and work for cash i just dont think its right to everyone in need of it vs me a young hard working individual who can always find work with a little effort.

19. hummer81

hummer81 Member
    from MN

I agree this shouldn't turn into a shouting match. It should be used as a tool for both sides to express their opinions. But asking an 18 year old American man or women trying to start a life on a 10-12 dollar an hour job, paying taxes and committing themselves 24/7 doesn't scream out as a great job. You can get payed that at a fast food restaurants and have a structured scheduled and steady pay check. Whereas an illegal can work for the same price, not pay taxes and send a couple dollars an hour back home and support a family (another HUGE drain on our economy). O yeah and WE are paying for their hospital visits, education, lack of auto insurance and sooo on. Many years ago in residential concrete construction, illegals ran me and 10 other positions out of work (a gradual 8 year process). I keep telling my boss " They don't do sh-- once you turn your back" Needless to say it was a huge part of his companies demise. Just my 2 cents. ussmileyflag

20. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I don't care how hard of workers they are they are still criminals. If they don't abide by the immigration laws why would they obey any others? It is a large burden upon the taxpayers of this country to support an estimated 12 million illegals. If the government really wanted to do something about it they could.