1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Illegal Plows???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RON66106, Nov 8, 2004.

1. RON66106

RON66106 Member

I had a friend come over the other day and we were checking out my new plow and spreader. Anyway during the conversation he told me that the older plows with the pumps and lights mounted on the trucks are illegal and no longer legal to travel on the road. Due to the hazard of the pump sticking from the front of the truck during a rear end impact. He even told me that they are illegal to use with the blade on. This brought on several questions “none which were answered by the way “ Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I could maybe see some concern if the plow wasn’t mounted on the truck but if the plow is on the truck what’s the difference? I couldn’t get a straight answer if this was a DOT law or OSHA? But it did raise my curiosity to do some searches (no help) so I thought I would throw this out there and get some more ideas.
    I didn’t want to argue with him for the simple fact that while arguing with an idiot make sure he’s not doing the same.
    This guy works at the airport and maintains their equipment which brings me to think this could be an OSHA issue but I still have never heard of this law or rule. :eek:
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The law may be different in your state but I doubt it. If your buddy lived here, I would tell him he's full of it. There's just as many trucks with the "old" style plows than there is new ones.
  3. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

In West Virginia they are illegal because the lights are too high off the ground. I forget the exact maximum height that your lights can be, I know that plow lights, roof light bars, and window frame lights are all too high. That said, I dont know anyone that has had trouble either getting stopped or not passing inspection because of plow lights.
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Federal DOT regulations are this: Regarding overhang on vehicles. Front: you are allowed 3' from the front bumper. Rear: you are allowed 4' from the tail lights, or requires a red flag. As far as the old set up go, that about all we have and have never had an issue.
  5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

This guy works at the airport and maintains their equipment which brings me to think this could be an OSHA issue but I still have never heard of this law or rule.

If he is talking about airport equipment, then it wouldn't matter. They don't leave the property and are exempt from everything anyway.
  6. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

I believe that most states have a law about how high lights can be and be used on public roads. I think that plow lights are excluded "as long as you have the plow on" if not, you MUST turn them off.

At least that is my understanding.
  7. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

I think it is determined by each individual state. In NH I guess it is illegal to drive around with the old style plow without the blade, but with the headgear. I guess running just the yellow upper triangular piece without the blade is a potential hazard with all the SUV's on the roads now. A blade impacts the other vehicle lower and causes less bodily injury to the occupants. I have never asked a police officer about this, it is just hear-say. This is my first go at plowing so I don't know but, were there alot of deaths caused by the PRE minute-mount styles being used without the blade? If a blade is pre-minute mount, does that make it a speedcast?? What do you call the early style Fishers?
  8. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

I've got a speedcast Ian. I'm in NH and I've had no problems getting inspected with the plow frame attached (it's welded on by the former owner, so I couldn'ttake it off if I had a mind to.) This is the first time that I have heard of them being illegal.

And that big yellow triangle of steel is so high (hood height) what would it hit? The door on a dump truck maybe, but I'm sure that I would still lose in that fight.
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

MA. Plow law

This article is from SNOW BUSINESS magazine:

In late June Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney signed legislation requiring snowplow operators to remove a potentially dangerous hitching mechanism for part of the year, reported the Lowell Sun, Lowell, Mass.

In it’s story the Lowell Sun reported that the bill had been filed by Lowell, Mass., lawmakers every session since 1993, when 27-year-old Deborah Skrekas of Lowell died after a truck affixed with the mechanism but no plow struck her vehicle from the passenger side.

State Sen. Steven C. Panagiotakos, D-Lowell, told the Lowell Sun that snowplow operators should not be allowed to keep the hitching mechanism attached to their truck during the warmer months. The mechanisms are attached at such a height that they can be deadly to a motorist in a standard size car, he said.

The language of the law was included in the fiscal 2005 budget signed by Romney on June 25.

According to the Lowell Sun: “The hitching mechanism is described as the lift cylinder and the lift arm of the plow. Large commercial vehicles and municipalities would be exempt from the law. In addition, the law doesn't apply to hitching mechanisms that were permanently affixed to the vehicle before the effective date of the law. The law would apply only to vehicles under 26,000 pounds, which is intended to affect standard pickup trucks because of their height in relation to other cars. In addition, if it snows between October and May, plow operators would be allowed to re-requip their vehicles for the purposes of plowing, without penalty. The first offense would bring a warning, a second offense would result in a $250 fine, and a third offense would bring a $500 fine and a revocation of the vehicle's registration until it is brought into compliance."

Monday, June 28, 2004
  10. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Junior Member

Wow mick,

I'm a pretty laid back guy and I don't bash very often, BUT.. MA law.... It jsut amazes me sometimes. When you pass laws based on one event ( at least that what the post says) are you really taking into account the greater good? I know that their probably aren't too many lawyers or legistalors that regularly view this site, but does this law make since to anyone else? The fact that someone died in an accident that involved a plow truck is tragic, however.... even if the plow fixture was the DIRECT cause of their death to assume that passing a law to make it illegal to have a plow mount on your truck will make the road safer is nieve. How many times has someone pulled out in front of you when you are plowing? or followed to close? or any number of things that a DRIVER has done to increase their likelyhood of being in an accident? Till people take responsibility for their own actions the roads will not be safe, even then life is a tragic event.

:yow!: :yow!: :yow!: Don't mind me, I just had to vent. Sometimes I just hate that those that make decisions that effect all of us have no IDEA what is involved in real life.

Remeber, you can't legislate "COMMON SENSE!"
  11. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

If this is true, then my NEW Western 8' pro is illegal??? It "hangs about 40" in front of my truck when raised(and straight, can't imagine what it is when angled)
  12. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

In Massachusetts:
    If you are a Male,It's legal to marry your Boyfriend :angry:
    If your a Femal It's legal to marry your Girlfriend ;)
    You can't smoke indoors ANYWERE except your home or vehicle.
    Can't order 3/4 of the stuff in "The sprotsman guide" :angry:
    And now we cant have headgear on in the summer months. (I dont now,but used to have an old Meyer Perminent mounted Head gear)
    THIS STATE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :help:
  13. Mick

from Maine

It can get worse. I was reading where they either have, or want to, make it illegal to smoke in your car. Along that same line, I also saw that smoking in your plow truck would be illegal as it is a "place of business".
  14. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I don't smoke but if this goes into effect ??????? I hope you were making a funny HA, HA!! :waving: BOAST
  15. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

I got a ticket last year from the Mass State police while 'passing through' from CT to NH. It was for $50 because I didn't have my CT front license plate on. Talk about milking the out of staters on the highway. Funny that I could drive around CT year round with the police here and never get pulled over. To make a silly thing worse, my wife forgot to pay it on time and I think it ended up costing $125 and they threatened to suspend my license! payup :realmad:
  16. Mick

from Maine

Boast, no. I was serious. If I can find it again, I'll let you know.
  17. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I hope I get stopped for smoking in my place of business (Truck) Then I will
    have to charge the officer for an "office visit" for the same price of the smoking ticket!! :nod:
    This state can kiss my A$$!!
  18. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Nothing wrong for gay people marrying eachother.

I think they are referring to newer plows, if you take the plow off a truck, (with a minute mount), that is illegal.

Only the NEW plows, and ONLY if you leave the plow frame on. The minute mount you shouldn't worry about, as they come off quick and most people do take the plow frame off anyways.
  19. RON66106

RON66106 Member

Thanks I didnt mean to put a cloud over everyone on monday but if it yields snow so be it lol. :drinkup: