1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'll throw it out there again...20/hr-sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have no idea who, if any one from my area is on here on a regular basis BUT...looking for sidewalk snow removal crew. It pays 20/HR! thats the highest paying in my area (I believe). I had a guy and his brother from in here interested but they both got regular jobs I guess. I never thought in a million years it would be this difficult to find good help. For those guys who have good help treat them like king's! PM me if interested or know some one who is, yet another ad is going in the paper today at a rate of $132.50!:realmad:
  2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

have u tried the local unemployment office?
  3. montanag

montanag Member

I don't know what your situtation is, whether these guys would need to be in their own trucks or what, but if you need people to jump in your trucks with drivers, could you check in with a temp agency, see how much paying them $20 per hour would pay temp help, and have them on call 24 hours a day. That is what some people here do. No worker's comp since the temp agency pays that, and you can try to groom someone for a long term job without all the hassle of hiring and firing. Good luck, when a shoveler of mine goes down, the work gets harder for everyone.

4. PPP

PPP Member

Before you waste money on a newspaper ad I would try a posting on Craigslist under employment and wanted. You would be amazed at the response that you will get.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I needed some shovelers earlier this year. Put a add on craigslist late at night, and the next day I seriously received over 40 phone calls before I took the add off in less than 16 hours of It first being posted. And @ 20/hr for shoveling...people out there would have to be ******** no to call on that...good luck!!
  6. Pat Brigs

Pat Brigs Junior Member

Craigslist?? What is that?

I have same problem. Try HS age teenagers. They work hard although aren't always dependable, so line up more than you need, and try to keep some older supervisor with them, who you pay more. Any time we get significant snow, school is cancelled, so they are usually available.

Also, during bigger/tougher storms, they get bonuses, which keeps their interest when they are needed most.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I was paying $30 / hour for a dedicated shoveler.

Problem is the work is so hit and miss up here.

Nothing in November, 6 times in December, nothing in January, so far 1 time in February.

Next year I'm trying to pick up enough accounts to put at least one guy on as salary.
  8. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

i'm in northwester pa and pay my part time helper 12 a hour
  9. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

problem is you are posting for shovel guys on a plowsite. hmmmmmmm dont think any of us wilkl be out for 20 an hour with a shovel. call the local labor source the will bring then with gloves and shovels-work comp too for 12 an hour. set it up ahead of time and the will be ready anytime. atleast here in kc our labor ready is willing to put them out in the cold at 1 am.
  10. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Employees suck. Good luck with your search. $20/hr sounds like a great wage, especially with all the lake effect you guys get.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

12. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

How about paying more to find real workers?
    I wouldn't get out of bed during a snow strom for $20 per hour- My drivers get more than that and they use my trucks. My .02
  13. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I think 20 per is more than fair and I personally would get out of bed for it.
  14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I pay one of my guys $10/hr and another $12/hr, but we only have 12 jobs and it usually takes around 2-3 hrs. They actually make closer to $20/hr, because I pay them for 4 hours minimum. I think $20/hr sounds pretty good, especially if they are guaranteed a certain amount each time they work. Good luck.
  15. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

You guys are missing the point- He isn't finding any reliable people to shovel for $20 per hour!!!!!
    His choice is to raise the price and get good people.
    I wouldn't shovel for an hour straight for $20- No way, no how. Now for 5-10 mins I'll shovel for $20.
  16. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

If $20 isn't a good rate then what is? Sometimes you can pay more and the guys still suck.
  17. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Don't get me wrong $20 per hour is good money to some people - But If you can't get anyone to do/want to do the work the only other choice is to 1) offer more money to actually get people or 2) do it your self.
  18. Vulcanclassic15

Vulcanclassic15 Member
    from Ohio

I live in NE Ohio & the best place I found for a side walk crew was at donation center (like Goodwill Ind.), I was dropping off some donations (cleaning house) & one of the workers was helping unload my truck & saw the 4 shovels I had strapped to the side of the bed, I gave him my number & the next day 4 guys called asking if I had any work they could do when we got the next snow storm. Two of them had a CDL & was able to drive the salt truck, they made $13 per hour, the other two made $10 per hour. They worked for me for 6 years & still work for the guy that bought my commercial contracts.
    Another plow contractor in our area found a contractor that did asphalt & concrete & struggled to keep good employees over winter, they worked out a deal with the workers & have been able to keep 5 guys, be creative when trying to find good help.
  19. Brian Young

WHAT?!!!! 20 bucks an hour is great money around here. I'm now definetley one of the higher paying companies in my area. Maybe in your area minimun wage is more like 8-9.00 an hour, here its the minimum, like 7.15. So lets see, shovel snow for 4 hours at 20/hr =80.00 or work all day and then some for 7.15 to make the same final amount.

Either way I ran an ad and the phone was ringing off the hook. I actually canceled the ad at the end of the first day it ran. I must of had 50 calls. I'm trying out 7 guys to see how each one does. So far guy #1 seems to have a great attitude, is available 24/7, needs the money, but did an ok job at best! In his defense it was snow, then sleet, freezing rain, then back to all snow....yeah what a mess.
  20. Brian Young

Well I'm not paying the customer's to have us shovel and we're pretty close to that now so more money is not an option, as far as me doing it....I had to go back to re-do it any ways but I do not have the time. I hired 7 guys so we'll see how well they do after a storm or two.