1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Il salt pricing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bigplowguy, Oct 14, 2008.

1. bigplowguy

bigplowguy Junior Member
    from Chicago

I just talked to one of our top clients and we were talking about salt prices and she brought up that another contractor that they are using (a decent size opperation) for some properties that were just outside of our snow service area (still in the Chicago Area) were going to spread salt for $140.00 per ton. Does anyone know where I can get salt cheap enough to haul it from the barge site to the location, spread it, and make a little money on it. If anyone knows please let me in on the seceret. We just preordered ours and before shipping it was $125.00 per ton and with shipping and taxes it was looking like $150-160 per ton. Let me know if I missed the bus somewhere along the way

2. Brady S. Secor

Brady S. Secor Junior Member
    from Iowa

Is that treated or untreated?

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

4. bigplowguy

bigplowguy Junior Member
    from Chicago

Untreated Salt

5. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

140.00 ton spread? damn

6. bigplowguy

bigplowguy Junior Member
    from Chicago

Thats what I am saying. I cant get it to my shop for that price, and I will sill have to handle it, spread it, pay my guys, and put fuel in the trucks. Before I even see a penny I told them to keep an eye on how many tons they were using. They are probably charging 2 tons for every ton they use.

7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

interesting. i have heard of people doin that, i know acres does it, charge for 2 drop 1.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Northern said it not me, its VERY common in this industry. I have personally see a quote for salt (treated) applied @ $ 90/ton. I was just quoted $ 102 a ton delivered on a backhaul (trucking co, is around the corner from me), for the same product. Hows that work ? All my salting is per visit, BTW how many trucks have you seen with scales on them ???

9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

They are higher this season, not by much though. It is another one of the "Big Boys" around here quoting $145 a ton.

10. bigplowguy

bigplowguy Junior Member
    from Chicago

I am get it cheaper than that but it still cost me to get it to the locations and with freight charges that is what it comes out to

11. bigplowguy

bigplowguy Junior Member
    from Chicago

Let me retype this

I can get it cheaper than that, but it still cost me freight to get it to the locations. That is the other $25 to $35 a ton. We have our own semis but it still cost money to run them.

12. sweepyman

sweepyman Junior Member

Is the customer paying a flat fee per salting? Or are they paying by the ton?

I lost a bid last year that was by the ton and the first snow storm the customer called me complaining because the "winning bidder" sent him an invoice that was quadruple what he expected it to be.

13. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

over billing is how they are charging such low rates and over rating a lot say it needs 4 ton they bid for 6 and no one knows until the bills add up. we used to sub and let me tell ya they have the cheating down when it comes to the big doggs. but hey if they are sucker enuff to get ripped then thats on them. it just sucks us guys gotta wait till the next year or so to get those lots after they got screwed. just my thought on this sheot

14. Courtney Co.

Courtney Co. Junior Member
    from Detroit

Just saw Salt delivered at $130 to $110 per ton. And 50 lb. bagged salt at $3.50 per bag.

15. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I thought i heard or read somewhere that you can't sell product by the pound without a scale. We do all of our saltings by flat charge each time. I obviously know how to figure out how much salt is used on a lot on average, but how do you accurately determine what your actual usage is? estimate? then bill whatever you feel like? I know this is a very common way of doing it but it seems to me like an open door to some real messy situations, which is why i've stayed away from it,

16. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Have the following written in your contract:
    All weights are approximate and based on an average estimated usage of ___ pounds per thousand square feet. Amount of de-icing agent actually used will vary depending on numerous conditions including, but not limited to: Air temp, ground temp, amount of packed snow/ice on pavement, and future weather predictions.