1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ignition?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 84chevyC10, Jul 29, 2003.

1. 84chevyC10

84chevyC10 Junior Member

hey i have a little prob, my truck wont stay running. I think it might b the ignition but im not sure. The one that came with it looks new plus its a mallory. It starts but wont stay running, any suggestions

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite:waving: It might be a fuel filter problem or maybe spark plug wire off. Does it put put or run smooth then quit and also how long will it run before the truck quits?? We need a little more info to help you out better.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

First thing to do is to try an track it down to either ignition or fuel.

Are you sure the ignition switch is good,and not out of adjustment.If you hold it in the start position for a sec or two after it starts,will it stay running ? If it does,then maybe you have a bad or incorrectly adjusted switch.

Try running it on carb cleaner.If it stays running while spraying carb cleaner into the carb,then you have a fuel problem.You can also try pumping the pedal continuosly to keep it running.If it stays running while adding extra fuel,then maybe a fuel pump,carb,or your out of gas.

Try that stuff first,and let us know what you find.

One last thing,do you have tilt steering ? Is the column loose ? I have seen quite a few with loose columns that causes incorrect ignition switch operation.

4. 84chevyC10

84chevyC10 Junior Member

it just quit while running smooth, every now and then put put but usually it runs smooth.varies, when i start it will run then just quit other times I have been going down the road and it died.i havent drove it in about a 2 weeks ill drive it tomorrow and get somemore info, thanks

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

It sounds electrical.Check the large pink wire at the dist cap,and make sure it's clean and plugged in tight.It should go int the terminal marked BATT on the cap.If it's loose it will cause stalling.

Try starting the truck and wiggling and gently pulling on the three small wires coming out of the distributor base and into the cap.They tend to break internally and will cause a stall.If the truck quits when you wiggle them,then they will need to be replaced.

6. chevy

chevy Member

Trucks don't you love 'm. I have had some of my coils die when they get hot. After they cool down they start working again. Could this be the problem. A bad module will do the same thing. Get a doner distributor and drop it in. One from the bone yard should be fairly cheap. I personally have at least two complete distibutor units on the shelf just for these untimely problems. Especially when it snows. Also check your fuel pressure. Have fun:nod:

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Good point Chevy,I usually do the same thing.Easier to swap distributors than spend time with individual diagnosis.

8. 84chevyC10

84chevyC10 Junior Member

ok guys, i started it up and it ran fine for about 5 minutes,then died, started then died after about 5 seconds, then started again ran fine for about 5 minutes, tried to drive it and it died in the drive way, thought mayb the battery went dead, tried to jump it and no luck, noting worked even a little, horn, pw, pdl..mayb its a fuse but ill try when i get back from work..oh yeah i wiggled the 3 wires and it didnt die..then i wiggled the wire on top of the cap and it shocked the hell out of me for about 5 or 6 seconds when i pulled it off.:cry:

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

You said you got shocked when you wiggled the wire on top of the cap.Did you pull off a spark plug wire ? The secondary ignition wires are the only thing that would give you a pretty good shock.

Since you said everything died,horn,pw,etc,I'd be looking down by the starter for a loose connection or battery cable,or a bad fusible link.Check all other connections at the battery,and the junction block on the firewall.Also check the ground cable,and make sure it is tight and clean on the upper alt bracket.

10. 84chevyC10

84chevyC10 Junior Member

ya the wire coming out of the mallory ignition box(dont know if that is right name)and wiggled it off and then came a big shock.ill go and try them b4 i go to work. thanks

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd leave the ignition for now.Concentrate on the battery cable,and the connection at the starter.A loose bolt at the starter will cause the symptoms you describe.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Any updates ?

13. painter 1

painter 1 Junior Member

same problem with ignition

Hello everyone, I have the same problem with my 1970 c-10. It will start and sound great for a few miles. It will stall and when i go to restart it will crank but not fire over. It has good gas flow and I've recently replaced the distributor with a new one. all the wires are connected well. What I find is that after waiting 5-6 hours it will start and run smooth again with just enough time to get it back home. Is there any heat sensitive device maybe going out or perhaps a fusible link. painter 1

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

painter 1 - welcome to Plowsite :waving:

When you replaced the distributor,did you replace the coil as well ? It could be a bad coil.It could also be a bad ignition switch.

When the problem happens,you need to determine if you have spark or not,or if it's fuel.

Buy a cheap spark tester,a cheap test light and a can of starting fluid.When the problem happens,check for spark.If you have no spark,it's ignition or power related.Now check for power at the coil (ign on,run position).If you have power.It's something in the coil,or distributor.If you have no power,then it may be an ignition switch,or fusible link\connection problem.

If you have spark,then try the starting fluid.If it runs on the starting fluid,it's a fuel problem.

You can also just go over all the connection and fusible links at the starter and junction block,just to make sure.Check battery cable and grounds too.

15. painter 1

painter 1 Junior Member

wyldman

I'll check all that out. I didn't put on new coil just replaced old one. seems to stop running after warming up for awhile. Are you saying the coil heats up and quits functioning. painter 1

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

The coil can cut out when hot.Checking it with a spark tester would be the first step,and then if you have no spark,you need to check for power to the positive side.If you have power,then check the negative side when cranking.You should have a flashing test light.If the light flashes,or you get nothing at all,you have a bad coil.If the light stays on constant when cranking,then you have a distributor or wiring problem.

You have the older style igniton with an external coil right ? or has it been converted to HEI ?

17. painter 1

painter 1 Junior Member

ignition problems or not?

wyldman,

checked everything out from distributor to starter solenoid/alternator. still couldn't find problem. think though I found out what might be happening. is it possible the timing chain broke a tooth or skipped causing overheating and stalls. can't think of anything else. painter 1

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the timing chain had jumped,it would run poorly ALL the time,and would not just suddenly cut out and not restart.

You can't actually troubleshoot it until the problem happens.Wait until it quits,then follow the diagnosis steps I posted above,at least to get you pointed in the right direction.

19. painter 1

painter 1 Junior Member

wyldman

checked out when problem occured and had everything tested. just can't find problem. Did notice when i put timing light on it though i couldn't get marks lined up to tdc 8 without truck almost stalling. thats why i suspected timing chain. since everything else has checked out what could it be

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

Maybe it's not ignition,it may be fuel.Plugged filter ? Bad fuel pump ? float sticking or something ?