1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ignition switch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by richard lepech, Sep 25, 2004.

1. richard lepech

richard lepech Junior Member

Lost my keys. Can someone tell me what i have to do to replace the ignition switch on a 1989 chevy 1 ton. ? thank you
  2. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

This happened to my father and he was able to get a new set of keys at the dealer based on the VIN.
  3. richard lepech

sir, can the dealer go back to the vin # that far? 1989 thanks for your reply
  4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If not you can have a key made by a locksmith.
  5. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

:confused: I don't know. I figured I'd mention it in case you hadn't looked into it. Even if it didn't work I figured it would get your post back to the top. Hopefully the dealer can help.
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Proper removal of the ignition switch typically requires having the key in it (otherwise it would be real easy to work on stolen vehicles!). Otherwise it is very easy to damage things.

My advice is take it to a locksmith. They can usually recode the lock to a new key. They may want you to pull out the column and bring it to them, not the whole truck... but at least they have the proper tools and know-how to do the job without damaging everything.

First, though, have you checked EVERYWHERE for the keys? ;) Guarenteed you will find them right away after having the lock changed....
  7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you still have the original paperwork that came with the truck? you might find the key code there, I am not sure about Chevy's but if the door key was the same one then remove the door cylinder and take that to a lock smith. should run about $25 for a new key. If the door key is not the same then you will have to have to have the lock smith come to you. he can re key it there. here that charge is $100 for the call out and re key.
  8. richard lepech

Thanks everbody. I removed the steering wheel and took out the ignition switch this morning. Not really that hard of a job with all u guys helping me out. thanks again Richard