1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ignition Override

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Zigblazer, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Member

Just was wondering if anyone was interested in an Ignition Override system. By Ign Override I am talking about a system where you can push a button and be able to take the keys out of the ignition while the vehicle stays running and if the brake pedal is pressed before the key is put back in and turned on everything shuts off.

I just installed one in my Duramax a few days ago and it is working great. I added the High Idle feature which is a must for diesels. Now when I push the button, the RPMs go up to 800 and I can take the keys out and lock the doors with it still running. You can also use it just for the high idle and press the set and resume buttons to increase the RPMs of the high idle.

Total for my install was 3 hours of labor and $50 in parts.

It would be less than $50 in parts for any vehicle for the Override, and depending on the vehicle as simple as adding a wire to the ECM like my Duramax, to adding a throttle pedal fooler like the older Ford Diesels for the High Idle feature.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I can post directions for what I did. The only thing that changes for other vehicles for the Ign Override is which wires to hook up to.