1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ignition key '85 S10 Chevy Pick

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by boxerman56, Mar 12, 2006.

1. boxerman56

boxerman56 Junior Member

My ignition key is so worn down that I can't unlock steering wheel to start.
    Trying to find out how I can get to ignition to either replace or get a key code.

Thanks,
    Dave Boxerman

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Don't know if it works on trucks that old, but the GM dealer can make keys from the VIN number. Call and ask I guess.

Also have you tried lubing the lock? Had that trouble with my '86 and it lived another 50000kms afterwards without replacement...

3. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

On GM steering columns from 1969 through at least the late 1980s it's possible to remove the lock cylinder by removing the steering wheel. If you haven't done this before, get a service manual. Once the wheel is off, remove the turn signal switch. Underneath that will be a slot in the upper bowl casting (sometimes the slot is covered with casting flash). Pushing in the slot with a flat blade screwdriver will depress the spring-loaded lock tab on the lock cylinder and allow you to pull the cylinder out of the steering column. The original lock cylinder will have a stamped code that any GM dealer can use to punch a new key. I've done this several times, having bought project cars and trucks where the owner had lost the key.

Joe Padavano