1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ignition coil

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by clark lawn, Jan 20, 2007.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

just letting everyone know to keep an eye on there coil. the cooling fins on mine were getting rusty and i let it go well last night while out salting the truck died on me had to get it towed to the shop, found that the fins had swelled from rust enough to crack the plastic on the base of the coil. new coil cost me about 35 bucks but between the tow and the lost revenue im out about 700-800 .

2. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

mine did the same thing this past monday- i feel for ya

3. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

The coil on my 97 Ram just went on Friday at the beginning of a snow storm. Figures. Broke down on the highway. I towed it to my buddies house Sunday with a tow strap and bought a new coil for about $30. AAA won't tow a truck with a plow on it. I had to do my route with one plow truck.

4. R-Team Ent.

R-Team Ent. Junior Member

:confused: What kind of symptoms did you guys have with this? Did any of you have hour "check guage" light go on? The reason I'm asking is that this light came on last night and don't know what's causing it....

5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

mine had no symptoms i was driving from one lot to the next and it just died. as for "check gauges" not to sure about that one.

6. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

parked mine for the night, then went to start it in the morning, and only turned over-- just things that go wrong at the wrong times

7. dr_destructo

dr_destructo Member
    from Indiana

I just replaced mine with an Accel coil. They have one that is a direct replacement. Had a little miss at idle and noticed the fins were rusty and splitting apart. Put in the Accel and the truck idles better and seems to have a little better throttle response too. Same price as the stock one.

8. R-Team Ent.

R-Team Ent. Junior Member

My "check guages" turned out to be the serpentine belt pully not adjusting. Tried to move it by hand and it wouldn't budge. Applided some WD40 on it and moved it back and forth. This caused it to loosen up.

9. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

where is the ignition coil located and is it hard to check and see if it is rusting?