1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ignition coil? HELP!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dakotasrock, Jan 4, 2008.

1. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

Hey all-
    Im in the middle of the daunting task of installing a remote car starter for my 99 dakota. All i can say is never again. lol what a PITA.

Well im down to the last few wires, and im trying to find the tach wire. The wireing schematic I have says its the black/grey wire in the ignition coil. My problem is I dont know what or where the ignition coil is!

I went as far as to take out the gauge assembly, and there are two connecters back there, two different colors. However, they BOTH have black/grey wires!!!!!

If someone could help me out or give me some insight, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

PS there is a black-grey wire that runs to the igniton with like 5 other wires, however, I've already connected to the other wires in that area, and the schmatic calls that the "steering wheel harness". not "ignition coil" I really doubt the tach wire would run there anyway!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. dakotasrock

from MN

Bump! Im kinda in a hurry to get this done. THX!!!

3. pyro29

pyro29 Member

Where do you want to get the wire, under the hood or under the dash?

1999 Dakota, which engine / trans?

Send me a PM and I'll get back to you by lunch time tomorrow (1/5)

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Go directly to the blk/gry wire on the ignition coil on the passenger side of the engine. (could also be gry/blk there).

5. dakotasrock

from MN

thanks!!! What does the ignition coil look like?

6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

its the thing at the end of the spark plug wires no not the plugs

7. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

its going to be on the passenger side of the engine. it will have a spark plug looking wire on it but will run to the distributor cap located in the rear of the engine. here is a pic i found. the one on your truck is more then likely black in color.

140021.jpg

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a diagram for your Dakota showing exactly where the coil is and what it'll look like.

42202981.gif

9. dakotasrock

from MN

DAMN!!!!! THANKS A TON GUYS!!!! B&B- whered u get that picture from?

10. dakotasrock

from MN

thanks guys!!! I got it working!!!!! Pretty sweet.

However, its spitting code p0123 at me now, which is "A P0123 code means that the the car's computer has detected that the TPS (throttle position sensor) is reporting too high a voltage."

Any ideas? Im not too worried about it.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just Googled for the pic...

The P0123 could be a failing TPS sensor sending an erroneous signal out. But if it didn't happen until you installed the remote starter, I'd double check the wiring to be sure you didn't pull a wire out of a connector or something similar..