1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

IGN-A 40 amp fuse keep blowing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 515CUSTOMS, Feb 20, 2010.

1. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

I just went out to plow and you try to start the truck and it blows the fuse. for the ignition switch. I just put a new blower motor today but I dont think it has anything to do with it. i tryed unhooking the blower motor,plow,trailer lights and no change. What else can i try.

Thanks Joe/515CUSTOMS

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

The YEAR and MAKE of truck sure dose help with getting Answers !!!!!

3. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

Sorry it was a late night. its a 96 chevy 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 with 260,000 miles

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the fuel pump and starter relays. See if it still does it.

5. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

I tryed swiching the starter and ac relay, and nothing

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do not switch relays around. Pull them out, leave them out, do not put them back in. No relays in, turn the key to run/start. Does it still blow the big 40 amp fuse?

7. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I helped a friend a few weeks back to try and diagnose a no-start condition on a diesel 96 ish chev dually, I found one of those big fuses blown, and I think it was the ign a, if I remember correctly... I left, he replaced the fuse later, kept blowing, took it to the shop and I think he said they ended up replacing the starter... do you have a service manual for the truck? if so follow the wiring diagrams, see what is connected to the IGN A fuse, it will be one of those components..
    Matthew

8. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Did it do any thing different before it started to blow the fuse ????? Any thing !!!!!!

9. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

It was the signal wire at the starter. just 3 or 4 inches up from the starter. it was all melted and must have been shorting on something.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Glad you found it.