1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ifs chevy owners

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 09dieselguy, Nov 20, 2009.

1. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

how many of you guys and gals run a chevy ifs truck.

do you use the truck to plow?

have you tried using timbrens?

does the front end still feel weak for a plow??

does anyone wish you could firm up the front end with out wearing out parts.

what kind of parts have you tried to stiffen your front ends up?

2. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

1 I can only be sure of me, maybe some one else will be better at counting

yes

yes

no but I have no frame of reference

after 168K and 7 years the only front end parts that have worn out are break pads and wheel barings both were easily changed

other then timbrens none. my truck seems to do fine holding up the plow as long as I have enough ballast

3. caddytruck89

caddytruck89 Senior Member

I guess i dont really understand why everone questions IFS and solid axles?? The spring/torsion bar is what holds the weight. I have a 2007 silverado (coilovers) . It plows fine!! 7.5 western midweight on it. Dodge and ford solid axle use colisprings to hold the weight. The spring rate is what holds the weight.

4. GMC Sierra

GMC Sierra Member

Why is the Chevy IFS so controversial? I have a 1997 K1500...love the truck. Holds a 7.5 Meyer very well with no additional equipment (i.e timbrens). I have not messed with my t-bars either. IFS is the way to go....better ride, durable, T- bars are stout, virtually no maintenance. Ever see a 1997 Ford 1/2 ton with a plow an no mods on the front end, you can see the coil springs"grunting" and the tires towed out big time. If that does not convince you IFS is the way to go, I am not sure what will. T bars are no maintenance, and vey few failures from my research/reading. Long live the IFS and T-bars.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've ran IFS for years. Under rated trucks with way too heavy of plows and never an issue. Barely any squat. Timbrens on 1 truck but namely b/s its 2wd, and I had them on the shelf. Other than that I don't worry about it and barely get any sag whatsoever when I pick the blades up. Trucks that get loaded up day after day and husled every time out, for multiple hours at a time.

Agreed on the "questionable" IFS. It's for the Ford and Dodge guys to have something to say b/c its not a SFA. They have no problems and yet get a bad rap. 88-current, I'd say if it was such a poor design, it would have been changed by now. Not to mention Ford jumped on the wagon with their half ton trucks 9 years later.

It's as if SD Ford hubs, tie rod assy's, ball joints, brakes, etc don't go bad WAY too often, and don't even get me started about Dodges sweet front ends, especially on plow trucks. Every Dodge I buy to flip needs the front end gone through to tighten it up (and that track bar and tie rod assy isn't cheap), or to even get the wheels to sit straight up and down. Lets not forget the trusty Dodge front diff actuator.......vacuum?!?!?!? Come on. Same goes with Ford hubs and front u-joints.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  6. Jack33

Jack33 Junior Member
    from NH

I have a 1/2 ton

Yes, 7.5 ft Fisher

I have them in the rear. Does that count?

Doesn't feel weak, but they do sit too low compared to the other 2. Its a cushy ride but feels like a Caddy after driving my 3/4 Dodge.

All front ends eventually wear out with a plow.

I haven't tried to upgrade anything, I'll worry about them when they break.

7. TLB

TLB Senior Member

I agree. Why spend the money if you don't need too.

8. 09dieselguy

the reason i asked is cause i have a new fix in the works. im not stranger to working trucks, plowing or wheeling. ive had them al except fords. my shock supplier and i have been working on getting a shock to take the place of the stock shock. the shock that is going in will be fully adjustable in terms of oil levels and weights, nitrogen levels and ride height. the main thing to remember is that ifs trucks when cranked will wear out front end parts. pitmen arms ball joints, tires, and the list goes on plus its not a tuneable ride. the shock that we are working with is designed to be used to hold the weight of a truck up by its self. no need for torsion bars or coil springs. the PRO of this is that you can fine tune the ride with around 5 minutes of work between each shock. you can have a firm ride in the winter so that it will ride like a factory truck with the plow on, take some air out in the summer and it will like a factory truck again. the big key point is it can lift the front end of a truck by it self so i cant stress enough it is complete tuneable.

9. 09dieselguy

i spend the money cause there is no time for broken parts in the field. when you are out working and something goes to hell thats lost money and potential a contract. why take the chances. also it is preventaive maitness. why let things go to the point that they break. please be sure to send me a pm so i wont have to worry about buying your used and abused trucks in the future. with that being said why change the oil and filter. i dont think that it has to be changed. its all to have less problems down the road right. i for one dont like the rake of a factory truck. ya i use my trucks but it spends more times unloaded then loaded lately. i can deal with the aft rake when its working. you need to find a balance point and go from there.

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Love my IFS chevy. Holds the plow great actually I get just under 1/2" front end drop when I raise the plow. Front end has 165,000 on it and the only parts gone bad are 1 CV shaft (torn boot) 1 pitman arm and 1 wheel bearing assy. Upgrading the torsion bars are a great option if you plan on running a large plow.

11. 09dieselguy

no offence but most people who have replied are running half ton trucks. personaly i run a duramax. plus a 8 foot plow. i also have had 9.2 v plows and it sinks the front end to much. the weight of the duramax and the plow are far more then the home owner model plows. no offence at all. wait till some of the deisel owns pop in here. there is also another member that i have talked with that said he would be very very interested in these so he could run the duramax again. the plows are just to much for these trucks ( or so the factory says)

i personly like to maintain my trucks and the factory ride quality with the plow on as some of my past accounts are across town.

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Did you not read my sig or my post? I've been running the same setup since Dmaxes came out. My 01 with 254k has been a plow truck its entire life.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

And the shock thing has been done, both nitrogen and air. The air bag ones are slick, but not worth the $$ and leak eventually, and the reason I didn't mention them. Its also not a factory load bearing point on the frame so I'd imagine long term would result in stress cracks.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like an adjustable Torsion Bar suspension system to me. All the GM IFS trucks already have this.

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

And drivibility for going across town? I wish I had that luxury!!!

And offence=offense ;)

And finally, you asked about the IFS system in general, and that's the crowd that came to help. You didn't reuqest a specific year, make, or model. The earlier model half ton guys are simply stressing the amount of weight they can take and still handle weight well with a half ton truck, and for years without consiquences. I personally can't count the amount of 88-98 trucks I've beaten to death, plows up front, and sold the trucks with high miles and all original suspension parts.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  16. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Looks like you got this one covered Bill!!!

As for plowing with a duramax with a blade, just in the group of trucks that we are running around with I can count:

1- Extended cab with 8 foot western
    1- Crew cab with 8 foot western
    1- Regular Cab with 8.6 foot western
    2- Extended Cab with 8.6 foot western
    2- Crew Cab with 8.6 foot western
    2- Crew Cab with 9 foot western
    1- Crew Cab with western wideout

As for front end parts, stick you head into the truck pulling circuit. You can alot about how to make a Chevy front end handle ALOT. My trucks get cognito braces and tie rod sleeves in the summer for sled pulling to keep the wheels stright in 4wd. Turns out that these same braces have caused my trucks to never go through front end parts carrying a large plow blade around all winter long.
    http://hendersonslineup.com/uncategorized/idler-pitman-brace-kit/

All I can say is if replacing a idler or pitman arm, or a ball joint every few years is the worst that happens, I will take it.

I like the ride of a Chevy you dodge and ford guys can have your lumber wagons.

17. Jack33

Jack33 Junior Member
    from NH

Sorry, you should have stated that only the Dmax guys need to reply. Most of us maintain our trucks. But, myself and most others do not replace parts needlessly.

18. 09dieselguy

no i asked for all. to me the gm ifs system is far under the straight axle trucks. i to enjoy a good riding truck but i cannt ask for much climbing into a 3.4 ton truck. the duramax comment was cause the engine is so damn heavy.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I thought the axle hung lower on the SFA trucks....

20. 09dieselguy

sorry i should of worded that differently. i mean the straight front axle trucks imo are far superior to the ifs.

but the ifs does ride ahell of alot better then the sa trucks,