1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

If your plowing the US Post Office next season.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, May 5, 2013.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My postmaster told me that they are only going with vendors now who accept credit cards.So start checking with your postmaster about this.
  2. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I've never heard of a government place being open to private businesses in the first place.

in my neck of the woods anyway all post offices, fire stations, police stations or any other government ran places are all plowed by the same city trucks that take care of the public streets.
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well I know the town or state does not touch the post office in my town it's done by a private co.
  4. grandview

All private here.I've been plowing them on and off for years.
  5. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

same here !!!!!
  6. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I have been plowing the one in town for years..... I was told by Postmaster the same thing.... Credit Cards next year... Along with me is the cleaning lady the kid that mows the lawn and the guy that removes trash !!!!
  7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

We have been getting paid by CC for years by them for the ones that we do.
  8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't afford to even bid the ones here. I have an idea of the pricing that the guy doing them is charging.
  9. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

2.5% to collect payment? So long as they make it on time, this isn't too bad.
  10. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I'm plowing the National Weather office here.

Accepting CCs was a requirement before allowed to begin work.

Evolution bank card has some rather impressively low rates they charge for processing.
    Call John Lane at 516-284-2709 and tell him that Brickman Property Services out of WY referred you.
    I'll get a little referral fee from them.

They are rated at a 9.8 out of 10.
  11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

They do direct deposit with me.Havent heard anything about cc.2.5% on 20k+ yikes!
  12. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

$500??? Really? No brainer if you can run it on the first day of the month.
  13. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Going into the job knowing I was using a CC I figured my price and then uped all the rates by at least $5 per service to cover the CC fees.
    And you can easily get under the 2.5% rate.
  14. leigh

from CT

I actually don't mind if they mess up and pay late.They automatically add interest.Even gave me a raise without me asking! I guess it's just a normal ,keeping up with the times change.Don't see the advantage though for me.My invoices get forwarded to San Mateo to a central payment center.My contract and payment is not handled locally.Not sure how it would work.
  15. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

It works real easy. We just send the invoices to the postmaster, he/she calls us back, gives the CC info over the phone and we're done. Usually paid within one week from date of invoice.
  16. leigh

from CT

If this applies to me I guess I should start looking into the best cc service so I'm not rushed next season.
  17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Lowball pricing and slow/non payment and arguments about hours worked pretty much ended any chance of a company making money on any postal center around here.

5 years ago we were doing over 20 centers including salting after each push and walks. Now we don't even bid on them.
  18. grandview

Since my post office is seasonal plowing,Pay once and bye!
  19. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

I just started mowing for a post office, the post master told me credit card or possibly direct deposit starting in October. I am just planning on credit card, he seemed unsure about direct deposit I just price everything accordingly.
  20. leigh

from CT

In my area once your in thats it.Been doing 2 locations for 13 years and the contract is renewed without going out to bid.3 to 5 year contract with right to renew.Another contractor I know has been plowing one for 25 years.I don't deal with Post master at all.It's all done with the central contract division.No shoveling,most profitable job I have. Not getting too comfortable though,nothing lasts forever. Be a nice retirement job, one truck,couple hours per storm,10 to 25k per season,not too shabby