1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

if you were me??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plowing ri, Jan 1, 2012.

1. plowing ri

plowing ri Junior Member
    from ri

i have been in the snow removal business for a few years now. i normally serviced small driveways and small cmmercials. i have one crew with 2 guys with ariens snow blowers and then 1 crew with me plowing and one shoveler. the commercials were small enough to salt with a walk behind spreader. this year i have picked up 2 larger commercials that will need sanding. unfortunately i cannot find a reliable person to sub out to so i am in market for a used sander. i have a 3/4 ton truck with a short bed that has a plow and i hate to put a spreader in it because i love the visibility. i also have a f350 with a 12ft body on it. i want to put the spreader in that. i am comparing a 2010 fisher pro caster 2.5yd stainless steal with a 11hp honda. and a 2010 air flow stainless steal 1.7yd with the eletric motor. i like the higher capacity of the fisher however the smaller airflo gives me the ability to put in the pick up over time.and i dont really know what is better to have a fully eletric unit or a gas. the fisher they are askin 4300, the airflow they are asking 3900. what do you guys think.
  2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Go electric, you wont regret it. Also I have an airflo and love it. One of these days we are going to change our gas airflow over to electric.

3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

yea. Go with the electric. When my gas motor goes it will be all electric for us. How much is a new one? Seems like you could get a new one with a warranty for a little more.
  4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

5. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I can't say I ever ran a Gas Vbox, but for me the decision is based on overhead costs and ease of use, I don't have to deal with things like fuel, oil, carbs, starters, I have plenty to worry about and maintain. More over the replacement cost of the motor itself - $300 electric vs $700 gas, The box I bought had a blown motor when I got it, made the decision easier.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats the part I don't understand. I kept it for 10 years , no motor replacements, always started, no parts replaced.(Actual spreader had both spinner bearings replaced) That motor had 2 spark plugs in 10 years. Thats it for maintenance other than oil changes. Run it out of gas at the end of the season, washed it, and greased it. That western spreader spread 100-150 ton per year.

2 things I have done to any v box I ever bought was on day one remove all factory wiring and reset the carb.

Exception to that is the Buyers v box I bought last year, I only replaced the factory wiring and did not reset the carb.

Perhaps I have just been lucky with EVERY v box I have ever bought?

So IMO get the gas operated, I would only buy the gas if powered by B&S.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012