1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

If you have factory dual batteries....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PetalsandPines, Nov 29, 2004.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

If you have Factory Installed dual batteries, which battery does your plow get connected to, the main battery or backup?

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

The main battery,which is the one on the drivers side.At least on my 2001 Chevy.

Regards Mike

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I always connect mine to backup one, that is what it is there for anyway to begin with and way load main battery any further in a dual battery setup?

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

The way mine is set up its hooked to the main battery,the 2nd battery is on the pass side by the firewall, too far away IMOP to run a heavy wire to it and then all of the control wires back across the engine compartment in the cab. Make s life alot easier and simpler to hook it to the main battery and have direct access to the cab.

Regards Mike

5. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

petals does it have an isolator in the system or not- some don't -i run one truck with dual batts and installed an orange RV switch in the system that way i have full control over what I'm running and charging - i can run one batt or 2 in parallel and switch from 1 to 2 and even shut the batteries off if i need to....

6. Tarkus

My mains are on passager side front and aux's are on drivers side front where plow control/power hooks up to it. Good point though as battery location can play a roll in selection.

7. dpildner

dpildner Junior Member

Hi All, :waving:
    Here's my 2 cents, Finnegan asked the question as to if they are running through an isolator. That is a very important question, as if they are not isolated from each other, than your best battery is no better than your least charged battery (they will equalize to be charged the same).
    Dual batteries will only slow down the rate that the batteries are discharged(greater capacity) but will increase the time required to come to full charge.
    Therefore if the batteries are not isolated, then it makes no difference which battery you hook the plow to.
    Anyone that has run dual batteries knows that if you get one bad battery, then it will absorb all the charge and you might as well have had 2 bad batteries.(best no better than worst - weakest link in chain theory) :salute:

8. Tarkus

Pretty good advise except also remember that as you reduce the discharge and charge rate of a battery (by using two in parrallel) you also increase the effieceincy of the batteries as there is less energy lost to gassing and heating on charge and discharge. Also you will get more than 2x capacity at moderate to heavy discharge rates because of this over a single battery as lead acid batteries do better the longer it take to get power out of them. Charge time will really not be any different either vs one battery in normal use unless you run them down of course.

9. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

I have a factory dual set up in my 91 chevy. The batteries flank the radiator up front so no real hook up problems main or aux. I have the plow hooked to the aux batt. I dont think it matters really if they are isolated. Mine are isolated when the truck is shut down so they wont discharge each other, but when its running their up and running together.

On my Chevy the factory wire is only 8 gauge or so from the alt to the isolator and aux battery. I upgraded the cables to 2 gauge, and added an additional 2 gauge wire from the alt to the isolator to provide the current needed for the plow motors and solenoids.

I used to have the plow connected to the main battery, Ive noticed no difference in the operation of the plow with it connected to the aux batt.

10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I know on my 1999 and 2001 Chevy, western recomended the plow be hooked to the main battery. Don't really know why, thats just what the instructions said to do. I have my spreader and aux lights on my secondary battery.

11. Tarkus

This was not wise upgrading the wire for altenator that much. 8 was more than enough for that purpose givwn the size altenators in those year trucks. They are usually sized a bit small too so they can burn off if there is a major short circuit in altenator. With 2 ga wire to alt if it ever shorts internally you will have one heck of a melt down because that wire will never burn off. The battery cable upgrade was okay though.

12. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

I'll have to check but I think the wire from the alt to the main is bigger than 8, maybe a fusable link in it?

Ive got my fire extinguisher :D

13. Tarkus

That year truck it will be no bigger than a 8 and might even be a 10. No factory alt back then exceeded 70 amps in that truck.

14. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

I dont know where your getting your info, but the trucks came with 85 or 100 amp alts according to my FSM. Ill take a look at mine and see which - Im pretty sure it came with a 105 amp. I had a rebuilt put on with a smaller pulley for better low rpm charging during plowing.