1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

If you didn't have a plow....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DieselDeere, Nov 15, 2003.

1. DieselDeere

DieselDeere Junior Member
    from MI

If you didn't have a plow what would you use? How much would you charge?

2. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Whats that mean? You mean like a shovel?

3. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

umm a snowblower:eek:

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

well a snowblower or a shovel is pretty much the last option their are. if a four wheeler with a plow is avalible then i would use that:)

5. Rob Hausrath

Rob Hausrath Member

If I didn't have a plow.....

I'd hire someone with one and sit my @$$ in the warm house sippin' hot chocolate!

(you know they'd have to have a BLIZZARD though!):waving:

6. DieselDeere

DieselDeere Junior Member
    from MI

I can't drive and was wondering an efficient way of removing snow for not a lot of money (less than $2500) any ideas?

7. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Tractor

A nice old farm tractor with an old pickup plow would work well and could be had for $2500 or less in this area.
    Hyperpack

8. a palustris

a palustris Member

I would vote for a bulldozer. 2' of snow? No problem. :p

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Are you PHYSICALLY unable to drive, or LEGALLY unable to drive.

Around here, a "yard truck" (one where the body is too far gone to be registered and driven on the road) can be had for much less than $2500. In fact, I just sold my '53 Willys w/ Fisher power-angle plow for $700. It was nothing to look at, but mechanically, it was very reliable and capable. I hated to see it go.

Check your local Ad Digest (or whatever they call it in your area).

Jeff Pierce

10. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

Your profile indiactes your 15 so you legally can't drive. If it's only a year before you drive I would put the money towards a truck you can use for next year. If you want something this year I would go with a 4-wheeler with plow, good luck:)

11. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

12. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

If I didn't have a plow I'd :cry:

Many years ago I started with a small snowblower. Just walked around behind it looking for jobs. Eventually built up a nice little route. When I finally got my license my first car had a trunk big enough for 2 snowblowers (51' chevy) and a buddy and I were in business until we graduated from H.S. and he joined the Marines and I the Air Force.

Many vehicles and lots of snow plowed and banked I still remember those days and I still get SILLY waiting for the SNOW!

13. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

backhoe or loader.

14. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

If I were 15 yrs old and didnt have a plow, Id turn off my computer, study for a few hours, buy a $150 snowblower and walk the neighborhood going door to door. Then Id go home and study some more.
    Most anyone can drive a truck with 700 lbs of metal dangling off the front, into a snowbank; but you cant run a business w/o education ! (at least not a successful one)

15. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

15yrs..... hmmmm

Yeah, I would have to agree,,, I would be in the books, and then on my quad with a plow or blower attached... I have seen some really nice quads and tractors setup for some serious work (res. standard) and in the right area you could pull some cash from doing walks and minor drives with it...

Good luck..

16. FireCo388

FireCo388 Junior Member
    from Vermont

15 years old, what's the problem? LOL I've been plowing in a 3/4 ton since I was 13, local cops would just smile and wave!!! Those are the luxuries to living in the sticks, though!!! Those were the days.....

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  17. HMM,

DieselDeere,

Are you in the country or suburbs?
    I grew up in the suburb of Rochester, NY. Houses were close and I had a shovel. Back then I charged $2 a drive, worked my butt off.

Bought my first truck, 74 Dodge Power Wagon with a meyers for $1800. It was 2 years old with the right side of the box smashed in.

Those were the days.

Really, if you live where the houses are close, get a snowblower to start. If there is a distance between find a small tractor cheap and put a plow, back blade or a blower on it.

Good Luck