1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

If you could purchase any skid loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by JNyz, Dec 11, 2013.

1. JNyz

JNyz Junior Member
    from SE PA

If you could purchase any skid steer, what model would be your first choice?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  2. Stroke_this

Stroke_this Member
    from Tughill

I wanted one with tracks so I bought the originator of tracked machines. Tach tl240
    [​IMG]

2012 Takeuchi TL240 only has approximately 600 hours total usage on it, plus still has full warranty until February 2014. The TL240 weighs 10,365 lbs. operating weight; has an 83 HP Yanmar 4-cylinder diesel engine; has an 18” wide rubber track; two speed travel up to 7.2 mph; 20 gpm auxiliary hydraulics with proportional control and a 14 pin connector; purpose built heavy duty frame and extra large pins and bushings; and full glass cab with A/C and radio. If you compare this to the competition, it is easy to see how heavy duty this machine is built. This machine is comparable is size to the Bobcat T300, Cat 289C, and John Deere 329D units.Takeuchi made the first ever track loader introduced into the U.S. market, have an ISO9001 certification, and all machines are made in Japan under very strict quality standards. The controls are low effort pilot controls, and with a roll up door similar to an excavator, you can run it with the door open or closed any time you want. The entire operator’s platform tilts up allowing easy access to all major components. The lower panels under the machine are removable allowing easy cleaning, and the steel hydraulic tank is well protected. This machine has a hydraulic quick change coupler, and a detent switch on the auxiliary hydraulics, push button boom float, and hydraulic self leveling.

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd get the best one out there.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Bobcat S205, 2 speed. It was/is the best!

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

The best machine made is the one my dumb ass sold last year! I bought it new and should have kept it forever.
    2008 bobcat s-300. A-91 package. Cab, heat,ac. 2 speed and highflow. That machine did everything I ever asked it to and more. I sold it and purchased a new s-650, it's a good machine but would give my left nut to have my 300 back. I have ran all kinds of bobcats, nh's Deere's and cats. This 300 was by far my favorite.. 2nd vote would be a fully loaded bobcat s205.

7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Caterpillar 299D XHP with every option

8. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Three letters CAT.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

better yet S590

fixed it fer ya:D

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was trying to get my neighbor to buy your S-300 which meant I would have gotten it eventually!

Instead I have a 2010 Takeuchi TL230 with 750hrs on it. It's a gigantic dust collector. :eek:

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Rob, what did you like better about your S300 as compared to your new S650?

12. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

There is only two correct options...PowerTan(Case) or Takeuchi. Thumbs Up

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I havn't spend much time in the new Case Alpha series but based off the older machines I'd have to agree with you.

The only major drawback I see to the Tak machines is the outdated cabs. Huge, spacious, etc but as far as comparing them to the nicest cabs available from Cat, Deere, Bobcat, Case, etc they are way behind in "luxury"

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Im a Gehl owner of 3 they are good skid But I had the money to spend A Cat with tracks be my choice

15. Stroke_this

Stroke_this Member
    from Tughill

Cat tracked machines ride like a dream. However you will have to put up your first born to rebuild the undercarriage and its not a matter of when but how often.

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What year/model are your machines?

At the farm we have found the new machines (2012+) are a big disappointment compared to the older models. Talking with other owners of newer Gehl's they had similar things to say.

The machines in question are a 2012 RT210 (pos), a 2012 V400 (junk), and 2x 2012 6640's

17. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

Mark13, what are the problems you are having with the v400? I have 7810's and was looking to update one. I also run New Hollands and have heard many horror stories about them lately too makes a guy want to keep the old stuff

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Before the V400 they had 1 or 2 7800's and 7810's and loved them. The V400 had hydraulic line problems. It went through a few of the hard lines down in the undercarriage of the machine. I wasn't around much to work on it but from what everyone else said it was a pita to work on. Very few access covers, nothing underneath to take off for clean out and maintenance.
    It also seemed to require a lot of rpms to get it to do anything otherwise the hydraulics were slow. I was also not a fan of the Pilot controls in it, it was usually jumpy and unpredictable. It was traded in with about 600hrs on it because no one would run it anymore, it was replaced with a Case 321E mini wheel loader that's had it's own fair share of problems but everyone likes it 10x more.

I can ask more about the V400 when I'm up at the farm again (it's a fill in job between snow events). They were expecting a better 7810 and were not happy with the new machine.

19. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Material handling:
    Vertical lift: Bobcat S300 highflow/2peed with the Gold Package.

Digging dirt:
    Radial lift: Bobcat S220 highflow/2peed with the Gold Package.

20. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

My s300 had much more power and lifting compacity than the s 650 but used less fuel. The 300 would use 1.5-1.7 gph. The 650 uses 2.0-2.3 gph. The 300 had noticeably smoother controls. Also the s650 is louder inside/more rattles than the 300. The 300 also seemed to have a better fit and finish.. the 300 is a machine I could see lasting to 10,000 hours. I don't see the 650 doing that.. I also notice a little wear in the pins of my 650 with only 350 hours. My 300 was super tight at 900 hours when I sold it. I am not saying the 650 is junk, it is a good machine. But nowhere near as nice as the 300 was.