1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

If you could choose the truck and equipment, within a budget...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CP Paul, Sep 18, 2009.

1. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

Looking to get underway here in Ontario with residential plowing equipment, trying to pick a truck that isn't going to cost a fortune and a plow that is good, easy to use and again not too expensive.
    All you guys that have been there for years, what would you do?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's your budget? 5K? 25K?

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If your idea of residentals is driveways, get a Jeep Wrangler or Liberty.

4. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

Well I was hoping to keep it under $10K with everything installed, $5 would be better.
    I get the idea of using a jeep with a shorter plow for maneuverability but, didn't think it would be tough enough to take a beating...frame or engine.
    I have had a Cherokee and it was the best 4 wheel drive ever!

5. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

If you guys are for the Jeeps, the 4.0L was an awesome engine (straight 6).
    Almost same gas mileage as the V8 though.
    Just want to get something that is built well enough not to be in the shop all the time.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Jeeps, S10, Ranger pickups all can be very good plow trucks. You need to understand what it is though, not a one ton diesel. Small rigs are great for driveways, and there is a market for drives the big trucks cant do.

For the money you're looking to spend, you will likely do best buying a truck/jeep all set up.

7. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

Thanks for the truck advise.
    Jeep is perfect for that in a wrangler for sure. Short wheel base, great for twist and turns.
    Never woulda thought of going that small, makes perfect sense.
    Don't really want to get one set up because of all crap that can go wrong with a unit beaten for years.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll struggle to stay in your budget unless you get one all set up. Just look for something that's been well cared for, the usual stuff.

9. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

I see you've been on here and you seem to know a lot.
    What kind of plow and how big?

I was thinking of going for the type with hydraulics on the plow so I don't over work the jeep engine.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ten foot Fisher MC on a 4 cyl Wrangler should be fine. - No, I'm just kidding.

I'm not a Jeep expert. Not even a Jeep novice, actually. Basher knows mulch more about them. Almost all the new plows are electric plow mounted pumps. The load of an engine driven pump is trivial. And even with electric pumps, the engine turns the alternator to run the pump. Don't even worry about that stuff.

Hang tight, someone will chime in with more advice.

11. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

Ya I shoulda waited on this thread, started a new one cuz I thought you were gone and this one ran dry.

12. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

For a Wrangler you are looking at smaller applications with blades in the 6' to 7' range.

Boss Sport Duty
    Fisher Homesteader
    Western Suburbanite
    Sno-Way 22 Series

Or go with the 10 footer that Palmer suggested, it's your Jeep after all :D

Hit the links up top to the manufacturers sites and you can get further info on these models.

13. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Regular cab longbed witth a 7.5 plow. brands are up to you.

Myself a GM and a Western or Boss blade.

14. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

Ya I thought of full sized truck too but the Wrangler seems smart for driveways etc if it'll take the beating.

Have looked at the manufactures sites to see hook ups.
    So most guys are running with an extra battery (non diesel)?

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A $5000 truck in Canada is a dream. It will be beat to crap and break when you need it most. Finding one with a plow for under $10000 can be done but know what you are looking at or take someone that does. It is easy to spend a few grand in repairs if you are paying someone else to do them. Front ends can be costly.

If it was me I would buy a full size, reg cab with an 8' blade. Jeeps seem to hold their value well and they are harder to find.

I thought you guys in Ottawa used tractors with blowers?

16. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

I did say at first in the 10 range, more if necessary. Was originally looking for a dodge 1500 with hemi but the other guy seemed to make sense on the Jeep side for residential. Maneuverable, easy on gas; just wasn't sure it could take a beating.

Any good places to hunt for a ready to go unit in Ontario?
    Autotrader, not so much, kijji and usedottawa?

17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The Jeep is a great choice and a plow dealer with good service is more important then plow brand.
    5k is NOT much money to spend on a plow rig. 10K will get you a better rig.

18. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

im sure you probally seen it, but i had my 95 F-250 with a 8' frink for sale for $4500 ALL SUMMER LONG......... That truck is probally the best driveway truck i've ever used... It worked great, thats what i would recommend if you could find something along those lines expecially with your kind of budget... You can wrap up 60K if you want to.... But, everyone wanted to be a pr!ck and jew me down on that truck, even tho everything works great... So now i've decided to keep it as a back-up and as a personal bomb around everywhere truck when it's -20 and i dont want to bring the duramax to life just to go down the street... unless someone offers me a real good price ;) LOL...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

kijiji and craigslist are places to look. You can also look on here. It is quite easy to bring one across the border. There are probably a few in the 10 to 12000 range. You need to look all the time and then be ready to buy when you find the right one.

20. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

Thanks for the suggestion for craigslist, forgot about that one, CET.

Hey Triple L, the truck sounds like it has been well treated but damn; almost 15 years old. Makes you concerned about how much life is left in it.