1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

If you can't trust your barber . . .

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by windmill, Dec 27, 2002.

1. windmill

windmill Senior Member

or your weatherman, who can you trust?
    Weatherman predicts 10 - 15 cm (that's 4-6 inches American) and we trust him. We've been doing that for weeks now but last night it seemed like he was tellig the truth. Well . . we got 10 - 15 flakes . . . small ones . . .
    Grasshopper tore himself away from his computer to go plow all of them up.
    Pretty soon we'll be asking our local ski resort for their snow making machines so that we can make our own snow at our commercial sites so that we can plow it up and then bill them. Do think it would worK?
    Do other stir crazy plow persons also think of devious ways to make money in their spare time?
    There, thank you. Now I can go upstairs and see if another flake has landed . . . or ruffle my hair over a dark piece of construction paper.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Sounds like maybe you need to try to push seasonal contracts.... I feel your pain, well i did last year and this year until Christmas. It will come, this is a good time for a "long winters nap" lol, well since there is no snow, can you do any leaf cleanups or help these commercials 'winterize' their properties? :confused:
  3. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Hi snowbowie,
    Here in the west contracts are not a big thing and would probably be hard to push. I liked the idea of having customers prepay a number of plows and then writing them off as the season progressed, becuase I suppose you could then get them into the mood of a season contract. I'm going to try that next year.
    As for the winter nap, I don't think so, I have asone who calls each time he sees a flake (snow, that is).
    What is winterzing a commercial property, I don't think that's done here. I've never heard of it anyway.
    Raking and pruning look like definite possibilities real soon.
  4. windmill

windmill Senior Member

OOPS Snowybowtie, ever the gentleman right?
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

lol, thats alright, i guess its a mouthful!

As for the seasonals, it doesnt really work here, people dont beleive that it is going to ever snow, and natureally when it does, they are all caught off guard.... they never learn either, every year its the same story, just the next verse. I kinda like the idea of having them pay for x number of snows up front, sort of like a down payment for your services. I can see that catching on, or else them even initiating the seasonal contract. that sounds like a good plan of attack for less snowy years. However, one thing to consider, would they want the money back if they did not break even? If you billed for 5 snows and you only got 4? I suppose you'd have a clause in the contract regarding that.....
  6. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Plus you know darn well that the split second you go strong on seasonal contracts that it will snow 4" per day, EVERY day from Oct 31-March 21.