1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

If you can't buy it, Build It

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by snow_samurai, Jan 3, 2006.

1. snow_samurai

snow_samurai Member

Here are the first pictures of my home made plow:bluebounc
    6 ft wide by 24 in high
    Manual angle to both left and right
    Snow Bear trip springs
    2000lb winch to lift it up

The mounting frame was the hardest thing to make, cause the is not a whole lot of room in the front of the Samurai. I ended up going half way towards the the rear to get a mounting location.

Side view small.jpg

rear mount small.jpg

Waiting for the first snow small.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  2. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

thats crazy do u have any more pics
  3. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

thats looks pretty cool.. how long did it take you to make it?
  4. danny17

danny17 Member

Nice job! Tell us how it works out for you.
  5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You have to get out to angle it?

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

That looks like a very manuverable plowing rig there. And I like that cute little exhaust pipe. :)
  7. snow_samurai

snow_samurai Member

SNOWMAN0420 - I don't have any more of the plow just some more of me "working":) . If there is something that you are looking in detail just let me know and I'll snap it for you.

Jet enterprises - About 3 weeks off and on, it was my first major metal project. I'm pretty handy so it was not a real hard thing to do

Danny17 - I have used in in to snow falls so far and it sure beats shovelinging my drive way by hand.

Antnee77 - Correct

Mow Me Over - I know, I know it is on my list of things to do, I just got this Samuari put back together after 4 years of sitting in my garage with a busted connecting rod. I bought a Motorcycle this(2005) year and had to make more room in the Garage. The plan is for a 2" to carry away the exhaust from the "massive 1.3L:)
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Looks great. Manual is better than a shovel!
  9. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Hey thats pretty cool. Id like to see how well it works. Mine works better than I thought it would. Looks like the same winch as mine, did you wire the controller inside the cab?
  10. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

May I suggest a small roller for your winch cable to glide on? Less friction and wear on cable and bumper. JM2C
  11. snow_samurai

snow_samurai Member

Wagonman76 - that's right, bought aset of boosted cables to use as an extension to get the controller into the cab. It is working really well, I am a bit light in the back end, am working on a heavy skid plate for my fuel tank which should help. Also the guys at my work joking said "all you need now is a sander":salute: Guess I know what my nest project is going to be. Any Ideas on how to do one?????

Repo man 22 - Yes I have started to notice a bit of wear and am looking to buy/fab a roller
  12. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

"am looking to buy/fab a roller"

Couple of bushings over some round stock...
  13. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

About the roller, It looks like if you turned the winch 180 degrees, so the motor was on the drivers side, the cable would pull from the top of the drum, and not the bottom. From the pictures you posted it looks like that change might keep the cable from rubbing.
    It looks like a great job!! As as with any "one of a kind" project, it will always be a work in progress. You will notice how this or that modification will better suit you.
  14. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

If it is indeed the same winch as mine, then the instructions say to only let the cable pay out at the bottom, not the top. Reason being that it has a spring loaded plate at the bottom which keeps the slack end from going every which way. I mounted my winch on a vertical plate, and the cable goes straight down to where it attaches to the plow, which means no force is wasted in pulling horizontally.

On mine I just cut the wires at the controller and patched in some heavy gauge wire from the hardware store, and ran the wiring through the firewall. Do you have the large pushbutton controller with 2 big round buttons?

I dont have any weight balance problems, but Ive got a long wheelbase and wagon back end which adds weight.

Hmm not sure how to do a sander, Ive thought about it but I almost never need to sand or salt. Seems to me one could rig up an engine (to throw the sand) and gearcase (to drive a feed screw) from an old small snowblower, and then build a hopper. But I have no first hand experience with a real sander so I dont know.