1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

If they dont pay would u still plow??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BayviewLawn, Jan 2, 2006.

1. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

As i was sending out bills to customers that pay half there seasonal contracts in Nov and the other half in Jan i got to thinkin.
    I put a due date of Jan 20th on the bills and it states that date in the contract, as well as late fees.
    BUT,my thought is if they dont pay by the 20th should i continue plowing them if we have snow?With my luck ill have some people not pay by the 20th...ill continue to plow them and wait for the payment that never comes.Sure ill accrue the late fees but then what..court?

Anyway just wondering what everyones thought is.Suspend plowing until they pay?Or no?

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

HHHHEEELLLLLLLLLL No! Stop plowing immediately after the due date! If they don't pay, you shouldn't plow. Once they've paid up in full, including any late fees, then you can decide to continue plowing or not. And like so many do on here, including myself, if they don't pay, the snow goes back in their driveway!:drinkup:
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If their a company, they may go 30-45 days after the 20th. Don't stop plowing if thats how they pay nothing you can do about it just have to budget for it. All your other accounts should cover them in the mean time.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

my first year mowing I ran into this situation, I was mowing a client and the neighbor asked if I could start mowing his property, "his mower just died..." in hindsight I should have noticed the oil leaking car, the siding badly in need of stain and the pool torn down. But instead I was thinking great another job. So I started mowing him and at the end of the month I left a bill. Mowed him some more, left another bill, mowed him some more and bam, notice of foreclosure on door with customer moved out in the night.

Moral of story, no money, no plow.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I find that lots of people are slow payers. If they don't write the cheque right away then they put it off or forget. If it was a first year customer you might want to call them but any repeat customer I would continue to plow. They are most likely on your route so it is only a couple of minutes to do the drive on your way past. What happens if you get home and they phone and say the cheque is here, you can pick it up when you come to do the driveway. Now you have to make a special trip, which you might charge them more for and then next year you loose them. Just my .02.
  6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

make some phone call reminders followed up with an in person visit then make your decision on whether or not to continue the charity service.
  7. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Do you know the easiest way to remind a customer that they haven't paid their bill yet? Stop plowing their driveway! There are always going to be the if's, and's, or but's, and I am not saying not to make exceptions for some customers that you know. But I personally do not like to plow for free, and no customer should expect you to! Just my 2 pennies!
  8. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

If you don't get it by the 16th. Send a reminder, which they will receive by the 18th and if they mail a check right away, you'll have it on the 20th.

I would have the reminder state that remainder of the season is due by the 20th. If it is not received plowing will not resume until the payment for the remainder of the season is received in full. A charge will be added if a plowing event has commenced and you are called for service and/or if services are resumed and build-up (due to skips) has occurred.

Maybe not worded the same exact way, but you need to let them know that they will be better off if they pay you now. You need to give them a good reason cause right now NY is in a bit of a thaw and people are shell shocked from the holidays.
  9. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Lets start here: What does your contract state? Does your contract have a clause about nonpayment? I always give everyone a few days grace period than I call them. If they don't pay after 30 days of the due date, my contract states I can suspend service until the balance is due. For my residentials, I go to their door, and they always pay my right then and there. There is nothing more intimidating that someone at your door saying give me my money now!
  10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats up to you...I also have a due date on my contracts for the second half payment.If you don't receive it on time maybe they don't want your service anymore.Thats why there's a due date.Pay on time and I know you want to continue with your service.I give a couple days for a grace period,because mine are due Jan.1 and around the holidays mail service can be slow.
  11. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

I would keep plowing for 15 days past the date stated for payment, Then I would stop, It took me 8 months to get 1 payment. If you call them, they should work things out with ya before it gets ugly...
  12. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

I would make a phone call especially if you know a storm is coming. Let them know what your intentions are if the bill is not paid. If they choose not to pay....Forget them! Keep your eyes on the property because they will probably get someone driving by to plow the lot! YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT COLLECTING MONEY FOR THAT PUSH! KEEP RECORDS FOR COURT IF NECESSARY. GOOD LUCK!
  13. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I would wait ten days after payment is due,then call and tell them you were checking records and found no receipt of payment.Is it your mistake or did they make payment.Be kind.Give them nothing to bad mouth you about.I had one that didn't pay last year until the middle of June.After 2 additional bill reminders and an in person visit they paid.They were out of my way to plow anyway,so this year I dropped them from my list.They never called me,I never called them.If they do call me it will cost them more than it did before.Just the nature of the beast:yow!:
  14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Did they pay in November?

You said they are not even due yet and assuming they payed in the fall you are worrying about nothing. Thinking like you are why not start thinking if you have enough air in your tires instead.
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

As long as you have signed contracts stating payment terms AND late fees I wouldn;t worry. Is this a chronic problem for you? Contract customers not paying? If so you need to either replace them as customers OR start making the contract amount due in full in November.

If you have the proper wording in your contract they'll pay or you can easily take them to small claims, or submit to a collection agency. Mine is worded that after 90 days delinquency (never happened yet) I will hire a collection agency and the customer will be responsible for any and all fees I incur in the persuit of payment.
  16. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

Lotta good advice.thanks guys.yes they payed in november and yes im jumping the gun assuming some wont pay.Its never happened before,however this year we have alot more contracts then last year with alot of new people.So i just wanted some advice before it happens....if it happens.
    And thanks for getting me worried....i checked...air pressure in tires is fine:)