1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

IF I were to put a plow on my truck...?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by musclecarboy, Feb 28, 2008.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

What should I do to bring it up to 100% condition? I'm getting an old 7'6" fisher plow off a suburban for $0.00 and want to make the most of it. I was originally not planning on plowing with this thing but this might make me want to.

Here are some specs:
    6.2 diesel with 150k miles
    Rebuilt auto tranny in April '07
    Screwed up front actuator/actuator switch
    New IP and injectors in June '06

The truck is extremely solid IMO, so I wouldn't mind throwing a plow on it. I just want to refresh everything that might need it so I can run a reliable truck. Maybe I should refresh the engine this summer (new rings, gaskets, maybe rebuild heads).

Let me know what you guys think.
  2. mchur01

mchur01 Senior Member

Well if your not sure and you have a mechanic you trust let them look it over 150k miles really isnt that much. My last plow truck had 260k+ when i got rid of it and they r still driving it around. If its solid and runs good dont fix it if it aint broke, Murpphys Law. I would change out the fluids and see how it does the rest of the season, and go from there. Good luck, and have fun!!
  3. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

if the truck runs good i would not worry about rebuilding the engine.to make it reliable ck all the belt and hoses,tires,brakes,brake lines, front end, all ujoints, tires, rad. cooling system, batteries, , ck all wires for corrision,starter,lights,ect. these are the cause of most break downs during the winter. if your doing a lot of plowing anything that looks poor or your unshure of replace it. better to be safe than broken down in the middle of a storm.
  4. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Thanks guys! I think I might add a new water temp gauge (stock one is weird) and a trans temp gauge to keep tabs on the engine. The rad is also looking like its seen better days, so it might need to be replaced. As for suspension, I think I'll add timbrens and new shocks all around. I'll change all the drivetrain fluids to make sure everything is in good shape.

Is there any major worry about putting a plow on such an old truck?
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Older trucks seem to handle plows better (back when they were built for work) :) just make sure your mounting points on the frame are all good (no rust) and all your wires are grounded correctly and well and do a neat job of running wires/switches!

btw, make sure you post pics of your rig! :)