1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

If I gave you a 2010 F450 Chassis Cab........

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by millsaps118, Jan 6, 2010.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

You'd be using if for landscaping, plowing & salting. How would you configure it? And you only have 40K to spend......

Here are some options:

• Dump Box
    • Dump Box w/Side dump option
    • Flat Bed
    • How Long of Box
    • Diesel
    • Gas
    • Reg, X Cab or CC
    • Tool box behind cab
    • Cabinet boxes under dump/flat bed
    • Cab Marker Lights
    Add what ever else you think would be useful, and keep in mind, you only have a 40K budget.
  2. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Isnt a 2010 F-450 chassis somewhere around 40k? not to much to spend on Outfitting it it is.
  3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i think he gives you the truck chasis, and you get to choose what you want on it, iam pretty sure the 450s cost well over 40 grand
  4. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Dump Box w/Side dump option
    How Long of Box 10ft
    X Cab
    Tool box behind cab
    Cabinet boxes under dump bed
    Cab Marker Lights

blk ext and make it snappy please
  5. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

Diesel/Standard trans.
    I-Box behind cab w/ 1 door per side ( they hold jumping jack tampers great )
    Dump body (8-9ft) w/ fold down sides or Dump rack body, both are fine by me.
    9ft+ V-Plow :stainless fisher only
    V-box sander :gas or hydraulic stainless only
  6. bguzz

bguzz Junior Member

I'd make it an electric plow vehicle...w/lotsa batteries!
  7. millsaps118

Yep...ur right. When I was price checking I was looking at F350's, those start around low 30's.

Ok, so lets say you have around 40K for a chassis cab and a 10K budget to upfit it. What's it gonna be?
  8. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Id trade it in and buy a 4500 kodiak :D
  9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Dont buy the V10. I have a 2008 F450 4x4 with the V10 gas motor, auto, extra cab,9ft dump bed. what a disappointment. Power not that great and fuel milage really bad, 6.5mpg. Dont get me wrong, truck drives and handles great. Just wish I had bought the diesel.
    You may have to revise your cost for truck. Mine was $35,000 for truck and $5,000 for bed. And the Blizzard 8611 was $6500.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  10. millsaps118

Just had one spec'd out at the local ford dealer.

• 2011 F450 4x4 Super Cab XLT Plow Prep w/6.7L diesel = $46,500
    • 10' Dump bed w/folding sides & 3 way gate = $7,995
    • Pull Plate = $600
    TOTAL = $55,095 + tax,lic, doc = $58,XXX

This is commercial fleet pricing. No incentives as of yet. Add a plow and a under tailgate spreader for another 10-12K and now your up to $68-$70K!!!!!!!!:cry::cry::cry:
  11. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I'm a die hard Ford Fan. I would steer clear of the 2011 6.7L Diesel I'm forecasting a crash and burn never before seen by an engine. They have nested the turbo in the valley between the valve covers. Horrible idea Turbos run around 1200 degrees and now all of that heat is going to be in a confined area. Intercooled or not all that heat will be dissipated into the block which from what I have read is no longer cast iron either.
  12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

May be a dumb question, but what's a 3 way gate. Does it have an ashpalt chute?
  13. Tkobobcat

Tkobobcat Junior Member

X 2 sell it and get something with a proven engine
  14. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Senior Member

Trade it in for a duramax
  15. millsaps118

I was thinking the same thing and I even brought it up to the sales rep. Of course he wants to make a sale and he told me EVERYTHING I wanted to hear.

To me, a 60K investment....a brand new, redesigned diesel engine.... and me being the guinea pig doesn't sit well. If I'm dropping that kind of coin it better run flawlessly.

A 3-way tailgate opens 1) From the Top down like a normal pickup truck gate 2) From the bottom up like a Big dump truck 3) the whole gate will pivot to one side like most dump trailers.
  16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

trade it in for a chevy 2500hd 4 door 6 foot box with a d-max and 6 speed trans! ford suck and they are going to be going in the crapper soon. they havent built a quilty truck scence 2000!
  17. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

OK, maybe one more dumb question, but why would you want the gate to open from the side. like #3? IMO, it just makes the whole gate prone to failure quicker with little to no advantage, unless I'm missing something?

Says the kid with a 92 1/2 ton! :dizzy:
  18. millsaps118

X2 but I'll keep my comments to myself............
  19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You could have a F350 4x4 Dump w/5.4L V8 and 10' box with many bells and whistles, as well as plow and V-box spreader for 50K. You don't need a diesel, and you don't want to put an under tailgate spreader on your new truck, only to see it rust out the box in 3-4yrs.
  20. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member