1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

if i dont have tow package...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bubble boy, Jan 28, 2002.

1. bubble boy

bubble boy Member

in a 2002 silverado 2500HD but i do have the snow plow prep, please tell me i have a tranny cooler.

i read in an old thread at lawnsite that tow package is how to get tranny cooler.

but i assume chevy would also give the cooler in the snow plow prep package

seems so basic and logical i never really ever confirmed this.
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I am pretty sure that it comes with it .Look at the chevy page and build it section it should tell you.
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the Allison, there is only one size cooler...plenty big.

If you have the 4L80E, I'm not totally sure if there is any difference in cooler size/capacity.

You definately have one! Actually two! One is inside the PS radiator tank and the other is in front of the radiator. Dont know if there is a differnce between Plow prep and Tow Package. If I had to guess, they would be the same.

You could always just look!
  4. bubble boy

bubble boy Member

gotta be honest other topping off washer fluid im useless under the hood.

where am i looking and could you describe the cooler?

geez, i probably should be kicked off ps for such questions:D

MDDMAX Member

Look though the grill of your truck, by the bow tie or GMC symbol, you should see a "mini" radiator infront of the big one. IF you see something between there, you got one, other wise get one.

MDDMAX Member

Here ya go,

snowplow package includes:
    Includes HD front shocks, frame-mounted aluminum underbody, oil pan and front differential case shields, steel transfer case shield, 10-amp power for backup and emergency roof light, 130-amp alternator, high-flow front bumper, forward light wiring harness, 42mm access hole with grommet in front of dash for mounting of snow plow controls and oil cooler for automatic transmissions.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

your not missing out ...mine has the extra cooler(i do have the trailering package) and the cooler looks like something you might use on an rc car!!!!!! it could'nt be more than 10 inches square!
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2002
  8. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Some of the older GMs had 2 small coolers in front of the rad. A tranny cooler and a engine oil cooler which I believe was a little smaller. I am not sure if the newer GMs still have engine oil coolers also.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The cooler will be behind the bow tie in the grille,Gm for some dumb reason,put it totally out of the path of airflow,and downsized the cooler a good 40% from what was on the C/K pickups up to 2000.My dad's 94 1500 6.5 turbo diesel had a cooler almost twice as big as the cooler on the new duramax.I cant figure out why.Some guys on the 62-65 deisel page have put electric fans infront of the cooler so it will have more airflow whe the trans gets hot.
  10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The Allison automatic has the ability to prevent overheating by locking up the torque converter, thus eliminating heat generation. This is why its cooler seems small compared to the earlier 4L80E's. My Dad has a '95 Sub with 3 trans coolers, one with its own seperate thermostatically controlled fan under the passenger side seat. VERY cool running.

Just remember, a tranny cooler built for towing will have no problem with plowing. Plowing is usually done at below freezing temps which helps everything stay cool. If we had to plow when its 97 degrees outside, we'd be in BIG trouble!!!
  11. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I've seen these coolers in spots that looked like they weren't getting much air flow too. Here's my question, if there's a tranny & oil cooler in front of the radiator, aren't they then blocking flow to that, making the engine run hotter?
  12. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Not necissarily, BRL, the air still flows through the trans or oil cooler and being of a relitively small size compared to the overall size of the radiator, it doesn't affect the cooling capabilities of the radiator significantly.

Back to bubble boy, being a 2002 model (nice choice for a plow truck by the way) I assume you bought it new. The window sticker should list all of the items that your truck came equiped with. Also Chevy's webpage will list all the items that come with the plowing or tow package. MDDMAX spelled it out for you too, but if you have any other questions, go back to your local Chevy dealer and talk to the service department manager (don't go back to your sales-person, they usually aren't as well informed as they would like you to beleive...) lol
  13. bubble boy

bubble boy Member

checked the web site, and apparently with the 5.9 engine you get an automatic tranny with a cooler.

which is what i thought and really makes sense.

just when i read that old thread wanted to be sure- i'd like to go this winter without losing a tranny.

Big todd- i actually love chevys as a personal and summer work truck, but as a plow truck i'd like to try a ford. tired of western plow frame bottoming out on me.
  14. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

If you have a 5.9 you don't have a chevy. Maybe I am reading wrong but GM only sells a:
    4.2 I 6
    4.3 V6
    4.8 V8
    5.3 V8
    6.0 V8
    6.0 V8 HO (Caddy and GMC only)
    6.6 V8 Turbo Diesel
    8.1 V8

Can you guys help me out here????

15. bubble boy

bubble boy Member

yeah, 6.0. i've always mixed it up, sometimes i say 6.0 sometimes 5.9. dont know why. did the silverado before the redesign have a 5.9?

maybe its cause our dodge has a 5.9.
    at least i think it does:D :rolleyes:
  16. MDDMAX

MDDMAX Member

No 5.9 in the old one. They had either a 305 ($ucks)(5.0), 5.7 (350), 7.4 (454), and 6.5 TD.