1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

if "bigger" is better..then why..

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by spongebob, Dec 15, 2005.

1. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

don't the truck manufactures put on bigger dia. exhaust and a bigger intake system right at the factory?

and before you say COST..how much would it add to do it right the 1st time..above the cost of what there doing now??

i dont get it..:cool:

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

2 reasons bigger than cost - noise and emissions (especially noise). They need to keep the noise level down from a sales perspective. One of the traditional negatives that hurts diesel slaes is the perception that they are noisy compared to a gasser. A lower restriction intake tract will by nature generate more noise. I speak first hand on this one. I had a 1994 GMC half-ton 2wd that I bought new. I made 2 simple mods - freer exhaust and I replace the "silencer" with an intake tube for a 6.5 diesel equipped 3/4 ton. The intake tube caused a very noticable increase in intake noise at half throttle on up - almost as much as the exhaust.

The other factor is the vast majority of buyers of all vehicles keep them stock and are very happy with them that way.

Also with the Diesel HP wars raging anything they don't do now they can use for next year's increase.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  3. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

not only that, they would have to change all their part's over for inventory and such. They have to keep making some parts for 10 years, so they would have to keep manufacturing something they are not even using anymore for years to come. It wouldnt be economical at all.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Becasue you dont really see HP on a stock type set up from those 2 listed mods. Now on a diesel a better flowing muffler and ditching the cat(emmision reasons why they have that) would drop EGT's but not much in the way of HP. But most people dont want a loud exhaust. On gassers if you go with huge exhaust you can take away some bottom end to gain some top end. Not wanted in most cases by most people. Plus noise reasons.

5. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

Bigger NOT always better

While cost and noise are the primary drivers (hey, automakers are in business to make money, despite GM's best efforts to the contrary), the size of the intake and exhaust passages impacts engine performance. An exhaust system that's too large will drop the flow rate in the system, which can result in reduced torque. Both the intake and (to a lesser extent) the exhaust need to be tuned to match the airflow requirements of the engine. Usually this means that the sizing is a compromise for the range of engine RPMs and loads. Larger intake and exhaust will help top end power, but at the expense of low end torque. Which is more important in a truck? Note also that many of the higher-end cars now have variable-geometry intake systems (and in some cases, exhaust systems) that open up different passages at higher RPMs to better match engine flow requirements over a range of RPMs.

Joe Padavano