1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

If anyone doubts pre-salting lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Dec 19, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok,

This past storm gave us around 6" of snow. This storm started late moday afternoon, and snowed still mid afternoon tuesday. During late monday afternoon, our commercial accounts recieved a pre treatment of salt. When it came time to start plowing around 2 am tuesday, out lots scraped to bare tar, even the hard pack came up. Only it gets better, that pre treatment held through the day, and when the storm ended we scraped again, and the hard pack came up.

Just a light application early this moring, and all our lots were black and wet. While the other guys were out putting the sand to the hard pack.

Geoff

2. DEISL

DEISL Member

congradulations! What was the tempature

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Stayed between 24- and 30 during the whole event.

Geoff

4. DEISL

DEISL Member

kool

5. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Geoffd, was the salt in a pellet form or liquid?

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I thin layer is all you need,Geoff the pack that you scrape up doesnt even develope when you use the Magic salt,it just gets slushy,and stays that way,you scrape clean no packed snow.Once you start pretreating lots,you quickly find that you wont do it any other way.

7. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

i am now a believe of pre treatment :)

8. PamelaRose

PamelaRose Member

What are you using to pre treat with ? Road/Rock Salt?

Snow, sleet or whatever the weather .....

I hope everyone has a warm happy and safe Holyday

9. DEISL

DEISL Member

i BELIEVE THEY are using some sort of magnesium corn syrup............handyhaver has a boat load of it he could tell ya more about it,

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I use magic salt prefferably,but straight salt works great too,Magic just keep the bond from forming even better,IMO.I used to use a hot sand/salt mix,that worked too,it does have to be hot though,at least 25% salt,and you use a lot,but it comes right up,even in high traffic areas.