1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

idle issue

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

i have a 91 f-250 351 auto 4 x 4 i just did a tune up i replaced plugs wires cap rotor new air filter (k & n) Now at idle it runs ruff but if i give it just a little gas just enought to get the revs up it runs fine, and it runs really ruff when i first start it up ( if its cold) warms up and it runs better but still ruff. is there anything i can do to correct this problem, this is my plow truck and the snow is starting to fall and i dont want to be stuck out in the middle of a storm some where and it start die on me.. thanks for any help you guys can offer

Rich

2. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Try the IAC first. I had the same problem 3 weeks ago. I went to the junkyard, got a replacement, and it works fantastic.

Tony

3. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Idle

It could be your converter....

4. tuna

tuna Senior Member

What the hell is an IAC.My 89 351 is idling at 1000 RPM and all the sites I got to seem to indicate its the IAC but I dont know what an IAC is,any help?

5. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

tuna,

is your carb or fuel injection? if its fuel injection your iac in on the drivers side of your trottle body, there are 2 bolts that hold it on, you will have to remove the air cleaner and hoses to get to it there is a wire that plugs into it and when you get it off there are 2 little screws that if you take them off you can really clean it. i used carb cleaner but some say not too

6. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Idle Air Control.

7. tuna

tuna Senior Member

It is fuel injected.Idle air control ,thanks I have been told that its a common problem with fords and cleaning it will help.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It can be the idle air controller or the throttle position sensor. Or a vacuum leak in the intake. Let us know the steps you have taken to fix it. We can go from there to help you.