1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Idiots in snowstorms!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ebaron, Feb 2, 2003.

1. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

OK, here's a new thread I think we can all relate to. I've noticed with the new breed of 'performance' cars and SUV's, that people don't give a rat's *** if you are plowing and have the beacons on. They pass you within inches, rarely give you little room if you're cleaning up an entrance and RARELY have any patience to wait a few seconds.

So here are my top 2 experiences of Iidots in a Snowstorm!.:realmad:

Idiot #1.) We had ~ 40" storm over a few days a few years ago, bad enough to call in the National Guard w/ Hummers. About Day 3, I try to get the stack higher and get the truck stuck, totally blocking a side street. I'm under the truck digging, 10:30PM for what seemed like 10 minutes. A car is on the other side for about 5. I go to to the other side and hear, 'Are you stuck?", "well yes" , and then this, 'How long were you going to wait before telling me!!!'. :nono: Frustrated, tired and grumbling, I start walking towards the car with my shovel. You should have seen how fast that car went into reverse, spinning the tires down the street! Guess I had a big shovel! :D

Idiot #2.) Another killer storm on the highway. We're all behind 2 highway trucks, plowing with their wings down. This guy in a Volkwagen is swerving in and out around all of us. Finally, gets ahead of all of us and starts going left and right trying to get around the plows. He then, actually passes on the right hand side taking all the snow coming off the plow wing. :eek: He actually made it. Maybe there was a birth going on, but that guy had a 90% chance of killing the whole family.

Alright, let's hear 'em.
  2. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

Yep, every time I am clearing and entrance or cleaning it,
    The one thing that gets on my nerves is when people are going about 40 mph and BEEP! I hate it. They think I dont see them or something. Some people are just in a hurry these days.

Ultimate Lawns and More,
  3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

some people are pretty stupid.

certain places that i plow (depending on the time of day), i will actually pile up snow in the entrances to prevent people from coming in, so i can do my job.
  4. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean, Last week I was cleaing up the street from doing my drive way and I started backing up to get out of the street because a lady was comming in her little cahvey trail blazer and im looking out the back window and I have my strobe on and its broad daylight out, Then I just happen to look out the drivers window and she is driving right next to me putting her god dam makeup on and she is two iches aways from scraping the side of her little SUV, So i whip the front end over so she wont hit it then lay down on the horn and threw out a hand jester, And she just keeps on driving down the road putting her makeup on like nothing happened. God some people make me so mad.
  5. paul soccodato

dont even get me started about the jack a**es out in a snowstorm with ski's on!
  6. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Everytime we are out plowing there always seems to be at least one moron out on his mountain bike trying to keep his balance in the snow and slush. I'm always afraid he is going to fall and end up under my truck as we go by him.

7. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I'm suprised how many idiots jog early in the morning during a snowstorm. I've come close to hitting a few of them.

I had to get around a swerving car and when I got next to it, I noticed that the stupid girl driving it was putting curlers in her hair! WTF?

Many of my accounts are near a Highschool and I try to plow them after school starts because many of the students are just plain dangerous. They are always pulling out in front of me or sliding around and spinning their tires. It pisses me off!
  8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i hate the people who pull out right in front of you when its 3 am and they do 15 mph in their two wheel drive piece of crap car. i usually just pass em on a clear stretch of road if its the middle of night and nobody else is around.
  9. BIG M

BIG M Member

Heres a couple for ya.
    One of my commercial lots lets people park there over night.
    One lives next door and the other right across the street.
    I know they can see or hear me plowing it, but do they come out??? Heck no.
    Thay wait till i bust my rear plowing around them then come out and ask if i want them to move.
    I tell them no and leave so they can did out there cars and then i'll go back and clean it up.
    You know what better than that?
    Some of my lots have drive up pay phones.
    I never see anyone using them till i have to plow there,
    It never ceases to amaze me.
  10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

My favorite story... I saw a person in a plow truck (sorry to say) try and pass a IDOT truck plowing the highway. Well as we all know if you get out of the "ruts" in your lane, the deeper snow can grab you and pull you around. Well, that's just what heppened to this guy. Unfortunately he got pulled in front of the highway truck (only a few feet in fron of it). He corrected the best he could at such a high rate of speed, but the highway plow caught his plow. He ended up in the ditch, a broken plow, and a highway operator telling him what he thought of him:realmad: This guy was ignorant enough to ask the highway operator to pull him out!!!
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Doesn't pertain to me plowing, but - About ten years ago, I was driving along I80 around Buffalo. The right hand lane was the only one cleared, so there were cars in front and behind for as far as I could see going about 40mhp. This '70s Lincoln came up in the left hand lane going about 70 and passing everybody. About a mile up the road I passed him again - he'd slid off in the median.
  12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Wow, i thought Peoria was the only place where these idiots lived. I have been plowing a commercial lot, got to the end of the pass,stopped to back up and heard a lot of honking and yelling. turns out this guy had been following so close that i couldnt see his light around my spreader or in my mirrors (this was in the middle of the night) Keep in mind i had parking lights, strobes and rotator going. I got out, walked up to him, he rolls down his window and says, "What the hell did you stop for? I'm trying to park right up there."
    :confused: :realmad:
  13. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

LOL, good story. What an idiot! All you guys had good stories. Keep em coming. Mike
  14. paul soccodato

depending on my mood,

those people that insist on following too closley, while im plowing (with the rotator going), a little blast of salt on them usually backs them up pretty quick.
  15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Never understood those people who follow you so close when plowing,in a 3 acre open lot !!

We do a few big complexes that are on the corner of two major streets.People are always cutting through the back laneways,to avoid waiting in the traffic stopped for the light.I have almost nailed a few coming around corners.

Now for safety,we plow IN the entrances first,then plow the lot and remove the snow from the entrances.Prevents to many close calls.
  16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Paul, I do that with my sander.:D I'll start the motor and rev it up first as a warning. I don't think people realize you can start the sander sitting in the truck going down the road. It usually doesn't take more than a little shot.
  17. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Well I just thought of a salter story. I am not sure who was the idiot on this one, but this girl tells me she is behind A DOT salter truck at a red light and he starts backing. She starts honking like mad and the start backing up as he crunches the front end. Car looked kind of like a monster truck stepped on the hood. So the guy comes out and looks at his salter kind of mystified. He says he thought there was rock in salter, she says no, it was a Volvo. Oh I wish I could have been there!
  18. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

As I was backing out of my driveway to make another run..... this pickup goes by me about 65 (I live on a residential 40 mph road)
    If I had been just ONE second sooner he would have hit me broadside!!!! Yes it was night time with my strobes and rotater on. :realmad:
  19. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Come on guys I realize some people are idiots but really if you are pulling into the road and do not watch for cars and get broadsided, well sorry to say its your fault. At a place I used to work at the exact thing happend, a guy pulled into the road while plowing and an old guy hit him, well guess what, he was not on private property anymore so he got a ticket. Come to find out that was all he needed to have his license taken away (had some previous tickets) Needless to say he also lost his job.

I know I will get flack from this one but sheez you do not own the road when you plow, if you are on a public road I dont care if you are lit up like a Christmas tree, you need to be aware of whos coming and try to stay out of their way.

Dont get me wrong I have seen it all in parking lots, and there are many idiots on my route but when I enter a public street the cars driving down that street have the right away and its my job to watch out for them.
  20. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

"Dont get me wrong I have seen it all in parking lots, and there are many idiots on my route but when I enter a public street the cars driving down that street have the right away and its my job to watch out for them."

Ditto this comment! We don't have the right of way on the public roads, now in the lots, STAY AWAY!! LOL Too many of these stories to list & can't think of any good ones right now. Have also often plowed in sections of lots to get them done in safety without nuts driving through where they don't belong etc. Along with what Big M said about pay phones, I did some banks the last 2 seasons and the specs said to keep the ATM's safe during overnights, weekends, holidays etc. Well you'd be surprised how many people are using these machines at 3 & 4 AM on Christmas & other big holidays & sundays, when nowhere is still open to spend that money! Couldn't figure that one out.