1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Idiot proof route sheets....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I've tried over the years to come up with an idiot proof route sheet, one where they won't forget customer's and specific services. Well I thought I came up with one last season, all it had was customer name, address, time in and time out. Now, how hard is that to write down? Well between the chicken scratch that you couldn't read and the missed times it was at times a fiasco. This year during our pre season AND a meeting we had a couple weeks ago you would have thought no one could read or write, missing times and forgetting to perform certain services at a few places and even forgetting to do customer's all together.....WTH! I would be a bit more understanding if we've been getting pounded but ummmmm no where near that! So now I've come up with another system, basically same thing except there is no writing involved except for times in and out AND whatever they "forget" to do is back charged to their paycheck. Yes I know some of you bleeding hearts will bash me for back charging them and say thats not fair, you can't do that bla,bla,bla. But ya know what? whats not fair is us as owner's putting up with stupidity and costing me 350.00 on the last little storm alone! I've tried to be nice, treat them professionally but once again the only thing they seem to understand is me being a P*&%K.
  2. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

I made mine all printed up- name, address, what special duties are needed on job(ex.Fire exit etc..)all they need to do is put time in/out and a check mark after what was done on the job. Simple right! But do you think they could do that? People are LAZY. I feel your pain!
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

after reading how you guys are doing your time sheets,,,id love to work you ya'll... we have 3 times to wright in,,,then start and finish time.. our paper work is a joke. luckly I dont have to do half of it. I just do start/finish times. but yes i feel your pain.
  4. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Its sad but I agree with you 100% especially the last line. You try to be nice but it seems they only remember when you blow up or throw things around etc. Fortunately for us the plowing typically goes pretty well. I have guys that care and want to work which is sometimes the best answer to the problem. Without either of those things you will have problems. It isn't rocket science to fill out a route sheet or follow one. To me that is someone who doesn't care or isn't focused. You can't teach work ethic.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Sounds like you need to find better employee's. Yeah I know, it's like finding that needle in the hay stack.
  6. Brian Young

It's just the little things that add up time and again. But yeah after doing our last billing, there was several hundred dollars missing so to speak. Other than this issue these guys are doing fine but "C'mon man". I just don't get it.......very minimal snow, 3 "meetings" to go over everything and still, stupid mistakes that just leave me shaking my head wondering how and why.
  7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have one question about all of this: How much experience do your guys have and how much do you pay them (ballpark)? You get what you pay for.
  8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

This is really not true anymore, work is usually very low on the priority list these days, even when paying a good wage. Now what's going on "after work" that's the important stuff!:dizzy:
  9. espyj

espyj Member

Sounds like you need to invest in some technology. We have tablets (Motorolla Xoom, iPad, etc) in our trucks so its easy to make notes, mark times, etc. Easier to adjust on the fly too if needed.

You could also invest in GPS systems. You'd know where each truck was, how long it sat at that location, etc as proof
  10. peteo1

No, I beg to differ. In my experience the guy who is making $10/hr isnt going to give you the same as the guy who is making $15/hour doing the same job. Personally I am not going to work for anyone who only pays $10/hr. I certainly am not going to give a $*&^ about doing their job for them either no matter what it is. If you cant find a guy to put a check mark on a piece of paper maybe you should either find someone who can pay attention to what they are doing or let someone else do your hiring for you. Plowing isnt rocket science and its not very hard to fill out a checklist. In regards to Brian docking guys pay for mistakes I can understand doing that ONLY if they dont take some initiative and go back to the account and correct the mistake. I think you have to give someone a chance to make it right before you mess with their money. If it keeps happening then yeah, go ahead and dock them some money or maybe think about replacing them.
  11. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Is it even legal to take money from an employee if he forgets to shovel a walk?
  12. Brian Young

I've hired guys to shovel sidewalks at 20 bucks an hour a few years ago and guess what I still got maybe 5 bucks worth of work done....will never make that mistake again! Yes, I agree, go back and fix the problem but not on my time but how do you forget to salt a lot thats #5 on a route sheet after being shown where and what to do and telling them to go through the route. I guess what ticks me off the most is these guys have been told a couple times what to do and for the most part it gets done but these few exceptions are an expensive miss.
  13. peteo1

Sounds like you need an employee that isnt a complete rock head. I can usually tell when a guy will or wants to work just by the way he talks and the way he carries himself. Granted this isnt a foolproof way of doing things but you can tell a lot by what a man says and how he acts. Most landscapers/plow guys I know tend to hire guys that are 18-25 or so. I wont speak for anyone else but when I was that age all I gave a sh*& about was drinking beer and getting laid. I developed a pretty good work ethic though and now I understand that you gotta do the work before you get to play. I personally would hire someone that is older and has experience and pay him a little better than I normally would a younger guy in hopes that the older fella will show up on time and do the job correctly. It also helps a bit when you aren't a ***** to your employees. I've worked for one or two and there is a reason I dont anymore.
  14. Brian Young

I was thinking of buying the software for our on board cameras which have gps but a bit on the expensive side. Plus, my God just go do your job....I've done everything these guys are doing myself so I know how long it takes within reason.
  15. Brian Young

I understand what your saying and I've tried all the things you mentioned. BTW I was hiring,lol Like I said before, for the most part everything is going very well with these guys EXCEPT for one of the more important things like making sure you do your route and not forget anyone. Hopefully some snow for us here next week!

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Oh I know, we have sheets with all the properties listed with spaces for date,in/out times, walks, and how many bags of salt for the walks pretty straight forward (I think). It works...kinda but they forget that there is am and pm usually it isn't a problem but when you get a decent storm and they go to a property multiple times and keep using the same sheet and just wright down a bunch of in and out times without putting am/pm's or change dates it can make it real fun to figure out wtf they were doing. When you show them the sheet or sheets and ask them what's what they go uh umm and get the deer in the headlights look on their face:dizzy::cry:Is it REALLY that hard???
  17. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

It shouldn't matter if your making 5 bucks or 20 bucks an hr they know what the job is when they take it and they know the pay they need to suck it up and do the job the way it is suppost to be done and have a little respect for them selfs and the company they work for.
  18. Brian Young

This is what I'm talking about! LOL. We do a few places that have at least a couple locations and do you think they could have put which one they were at or like you, am or pm.
  19. Brian Young

Well said Thumbs Up
  20. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

You know why you have this problem? I'll tell you it is function of the business model you are using.