1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

identifying snow plw prep

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Mar 11, 2008.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I am looking at a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD tow pkg$ 12,500, 75,000 miles V8 gas.I want to know how to find out if it has snow plow prep.Hows the price sound too.
  2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but in the glove box in your option cod list I think it is VYU.
    If those letters are there you have it.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

VYU option code like Snowmatt said.

Easiest way to tell by interior pics (when looking on the web), or initial looking on a lot is to look for the light beacon switch on the dash near the air bag on/off switch. Only plow prep equipped trucks came with it.
  4. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I thought the PPP included a trans temp gauge also.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Trans temp gage wasn't determined by the PP option Joel.

All 8600-up GVWR trucks had the trans temp gage in the Silverado body style '99-up.
  6. bison1973

bison1973 Member

I've got a '99 silverado with plow prep and it does not have the trans temp gauge.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And again, plow prep makes no difference to trans gage.
  8. bison1973

bison1973 Member

You said all 8600gvwr '99 and up had the gauge.
    Mine is a '99 silverado 8600gvwr and it dosen't have the gauge.
  9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Its not all...its the NBS trucks only. They still made OBS trucks in 99. Is your an OBS or NBS truck?
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it is the Silverado body it must be a pre VIN break build since it's an 8600.

GM was/is famous for carryovers and did do some strange things on the Silverado break in '99.

Another good example:

All the '99's were supposed to have the HD aux trans cooler on the trucks with the VYU package but many that were under the 8600 GVWR in fact didn't get them.

But if you ordered it with the Z82 package it came with the cooler regardless.. :dizzy:
  11. bison1973

bison1973 Member

Mine is new body for '99 and does not have the gauge.