1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Identifying help please

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 496 BB, Sep 24, 2010.

1. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Just bought this truck and would like to know some more info on the plow aspect of things. I do not have the truck yet as there were some title issues to work out on the sellers behalf so I dont have the truck to look at things. Just thought Id get a jump start on identifying things on it first by a picture and your expertise.

Only thing wrong with plow is (and I confirmed this yesterday) when you try to raise it it does not go up all the time but sometimes will. He had to rev the truck to get it to go up for time. Second time it wouldnt move without one of us lifting plow. He has two batteries too so I figure a more powerful alternator is in the works. He says when its cold its all good but when warm it acts up. Would this just be a fluch and adjustment most likely? He replaced the "starter" on top of pump last summer and sealed it with silicone on outside so no water seeps.Its a cable driven unit with a joystick inside and I remember it saying uni-mount on plow along with 3 trip springs and a shock absorber.

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Hard to say without doing a pressure test on the pump. Hydraulic fluid is thicker when it's cold, so the fact that works better in the cold tells me the pump may be due for a rebuild. I doubt it has much to do with the charging system though, especially if it has 2 batteries. Revving the engine may be giving it just enough voltage to overcome the inefficiency of the pump. I'd get the pump checked out first, any plow dealer that services plows should have a pressure gauge and can give you a starting point.
  3. My76f250

My76f250 Senior Member

Ok first off...i just got rid of an f150 that had the cable pump...ide will to bet its only low on fluid...i use atf now the western hydro fluid...oh an btw DO NOT MIX THE 2....they are not compatible and will gel in cold weather...as far as the plow goes it sounds like its the pro series....as far as the unimount decals...the plow was probably installed in the early 90's when the unimounts first appeared..Western used the newer instructions on all their plows...unimount or not
  4. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

So all in all would you think this is a good starter plow? Will move up after I learn the ropes.