1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

identify this lift

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by johnjeffrey, Jan 21, 2004.

1. johnjeffrey

johnjeffrey Junior Member

'm a first time poster, first plow, first heavy duty PU, and I need help.
    I just bought a used and cheap 1990 F250 with a plow (Western?) I wasn't in the market for a plow, but figure it's a nice thing to have to do my own and a few friend's driveways and it came along for the ride, or something like that.
    From what I can see this is a Western pump. Can any of you ID it for sure? Itcould use some clean up and paint.
    I'd like to know the pump model, and whether or not tit is a Western. Any guesses at the age of this set up? I don't know if it was bought new with the truck or what.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    johnjeffrey has attached this image:

lift 1.jpg
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Welcome to plowsite!:waving:
    That's a western allright. My buddy has one just like it. I can tell by the cables on the side.:D
  3. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

thats a western pump your other thread is a meyer plow
  4. johnjeffrey

johnjeffrey Junior Member

Identify this

Thanks a lot for your help with id'ing my Meyer plow and western lift:D
    Anyone know what model the western is?
    And how or why the two are paired up. Is this a good setup for a F250?
    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
  5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

Western pumps usually work quicker and use atf . Meyer uses hydro fluid. A lot of people have told me that they prefer the Meyer moldboard over the Western . Years ago I used to have ears for Meyer and Western blades on the same truck mount. I used both and both did a good job. Good luck and be safe. :D
  6. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Meyer Plow / Western pump. Hmmmm looks like somebody else has a mix and match setup like me:p .
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

thats a western pump minus the red paint
  8. kjett

kjett Junior Member

Use ATF on the Western pump. Also, make sure that you remove the motor after each plow season and clean the filter that is inside of the unit. This also goes for changing the fluid after each season.

I can't find the owners manual for the Western unit, but here is the owners manual for the Fisher unit which is exactly the same power unit:

Good luck and the F-250 is plenty of truck for your plow.
  9. kjett

kjett Junior Member