1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Identify this Controller

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by linckeil, Oct 14, 2014.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

This is a very common controller for solenoid controlled pumps and has been around for over 20 years and used for both fisher and western plows.

This is an early version as it has a big black plug instead of the small white plug that you see all the time.

My question is about the silver button on the lower right of the controller. I've never seen this button on this style controller. Any idea what it is for?

fisher control.jpg

2. linckeil

from CT

Here's another shot.

fisher control 2.jpg

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's it say by the switch?

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Heated plow option?

5. linckeil

from CT

above the switch - fisher enginnering rockland maine 04841

below the switch - US patent number.........

nothing stated on the controller about the switch. switch looks to be from the factory - not something someone added

6. linckeil

from CT

and harness also has the standard 6 wires coming out of it - just like every other controller of this style. so it's not like there's a 7th wire that this switch would control.

i was thinking it put the blade into "float", however the controller indicates that the blade goes into float after going down, left, or right - as do all controllers of this style that i've seen.

7. dieselss

Can you open the controller up and see where the wires goto?

8. linckeil

from CT

i would, but its not mine. a buddy came across some old plow parts in a warehouse he's renting and sent me the pictures to help him identify it.

he's not too mechanically inclined, so i know he won't be taking it apart. that would be a last resort if no one here can identify it.

9. dieselss

I can almost say positively that's not factory tho

10. linckeil

from CT

i can too - almost...

hopefully someone can confirm or deny that for sure. i'm really more curious than anything else.

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I agree with the comments above, never saw such a switch before. But I can imagine what it would be.... Being a joystick controller it goes right into float mode when you hit down. On the highway that's dangerous when you are reaching for your coffee cup!@#$% You can turn auto float off on Fleet Flex units but you couldn't back then when they made these. I would bet it disengages the auto float feature.... Take her pantys off and give us a look under the skirt??? Maybe it's a hermaphrodite joystick or something kinky like that.... It's only two screws, the owner will never know. We might even see a marshmallow in there (inside joke guys, sorry)

12. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

the controller is factory these were used during the start of solenoid and valve blocks under the trks hood it was the infancy of electric over hydraulic that white button was a electric switch that released hydraulic pressure

13. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

So it was an "electric switch" is there any other kind? That relieved hydraulic pressure from what circuit? Was it an early form of float designed to hold the S1 valve open? Your statement is so cryptic, please elaborate.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  14. linckeil

from CT

so what pump was it used with? when you say under the hood pump, i assume the old belt driven, cable controlled speedcasters.

was this used with a belt driven pump that was electronically controlled? if so, i can't say i've ever seen one of those.....

and why would pressure need to be released? was it to make things easier when disconnecting the hydaulic lines when removing the plow from the truck?

i went to fisher's website in their publications library hoping to find some kind of manual or operating instructions on this controller, but came up empty.

15. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

it was used with the 1st MM1's ( 3 hydro hoses from the bank through and attached to the the grill with brackets as well as 7 pin plug for the lights) the system used a belt driven hydro pump off the crank with lines from the pump going into a bank that contained the 3 cartridges and solenoids the switch was used for back pressure to get the plow side off they ran a primitive control harness from the pictured joy stick to the valve bank which moved the plow up/dwn left/right and was integrated into the headlight harness which used 2 relays this was the start/attempt of the MM plow

16. I have to say that in over 35 years of owning and installing Fisher plows, I never saw one of those. Was it before or after EC/SV and SEHP?

17. linckeil

from CT

ok - i've seen many of the first MM1's with the 3 hydro hoses through the grill that used the belt driven pump, but they all had the cable control.

i've never seen a belt driven pump with the electronic cartridge/solenoid control. learned something new. thanks for posting.

can this controller be used with the later MM1's that used the SEHP pump, and the MM2's that use the insta act pump? aside from this switch, it looks like the exact same controller. obvoiusly the plug is different, but if that was changed to the new style small white plug i wonder if it would work?

18. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

it came out/used between the 2

19. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

the pump and the bank that contained the solenoids/cartridges were to separate pieces connected by out line hose and return line hose

I don't know if u rewired the plug end if it would be compatible or not

20. linckeil

from CT

thanks. i went out to fisher's website again and saw the manaul on that setup. still no sign of that switch on the controller though. it must have been used for such a short run that it never even made it into a manual.