1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas to keep pump/motor warm

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ATWE, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

I tried searching this but no luck. We're having pretty damn cold weather in the Chicagoland area the next few days. I'm looking for creative ways to keep the pump/motor warm when the truck is parked. This morning at -8 degrees the plow wouldn't move, after a little heat, everything was fine. Any ideas on keeping it warm??? For argument's sake, let's assume I don't have access to a garage or even an electric outlet (we can thank my lovely ex-wife for my current living arrangements). Thanks in advance.
  2. 72gts

72gts Junior Member

I have a Fisher with the SEHP style Minute Mount pump. I found a 12 volt heater that screws into the fill cap of the pump housing. It is listed on Ebay. Item number is
    170293595454 Buy it Now @ $48+ shipping.
    I bought one earlier but have not received it yet. Looks to be worth a try. Good luck.
  3. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

Thanks, I think I'll grab one. I'll probably hook it up with a toggle through the ignition fuse so I can start it up with the remote start from the house. That way it's warm when I get out there.
  4. MustangFox302HO

MustangFox302HO Junior Member
    from Mass

use the fisher oil !!! its thinked out for cold temps plus ur plow will be faster once it warms up
  5. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

a battery blanket would work for you, should be able to get one at any auto parts store.

OOOPS! sorry just read post again, you want 12v not 120v DUH!
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  6. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I use canvas, from an old pop up tent, it's heavy and insulates very well. I have had no freeze up's this year using the canvas, and a bonus is it molds very well, i just tuck it in like a baby.